Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still confused about scores...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Still confused about scores...

So I am still a bit confused....my best friend filed for ch 7 bk 11.5 years ago and his case was discharged then too... and his score is at 696 right now

I filed in 2009 and was discharged then....my score is 636 according to myfico....

According to the simulator if I pay off all my debt which I plan on doing over the next 4 months the simulator says my score will be OVER 700

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT MY SCORE WILL BE OVER 700 3 YEARS AFTER MY BK AND MY FRIENDS SCORE IS STILL NOT OVER 700 AND IT HAS BEEN 11 YEARS?

HE HAS PAID EVERYTHING ON TIME.... I KNOW HE HAS STUDENT LOANS ON HIS CR, PAID ON TIME, BUT I DON'T

Also why is it that myfico says my score will be over 700 in 4 months and creditkarma says my high score in 4 months will only be 685

Credit expert on experian says my score will only be about 685, too

So, 2 questions:

How can I be over 700 score 3 yrs after my bk and my friend 11 yrs after is just getting to 700?

How can creditkarma, creditexpert, & myfico all be so different (there is at least a 40 point difference.... two say I will be at 685 and one says 700-716 (myfico)?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Still confused about scores...

The fico score is the only one that is important the others are just static. As for your friends score vs yours everyones credit picture is different he may have new deliq. or lates may not be showing cc or loans which are paid on time thus enhancing his score as time goes on. 

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

For me?  The simulator is absolutely worhtless.  If I did what it said, I wouldn't see the improvement.  Guess it's like said above, everybody is different.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Discharge of BK requires the former creditors to report a current debt balance of $0 as an update to your CR.

However, it does not require deletion of any derogs reported prior to the discharge.  They remain as accurate reflection of the account histories.

And, of course, credit history after the BK depends upon an individual's CR.  The BK discharge is not the only factor at play.

I would suspect that the age and continued inclusion of prior derogs is very different in your respective files.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.