Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping the finger-pointing

tag
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Stopping the finger-pointing

I have an apartment collection from 12/2005. It's now paid and I hear it will fall off 12/12. The CA told me they can't take it off but if I call the credit bureaus and tell them they will take it off. Tried that, didn't work. Then the CA tells me only the original creditor can take it off. Went to the old apt today an they told me they can't - only the Ca can. But they refuse and say that they won't be doing the credit system justice if they do.

What, if anything can I do here? And I told the CA that other collections have been deleted after paid why can't they? No answer. This sucks. It's my one and only bad thing on my CR.

Thanks
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
veracious
Established Contributor

Re: Stopping the finger-pointing

JasonBourneOfCredit,  one other thing to consider: if you were served with an eviction notice then you

will have to attempt removal of this notice from your LexisNexis file.  LexisNexis is hard to deal with.

Check your county circuit court for any record of suspected  notices  filed against you.  Your former landlord

may have tried to serve you  said notice and you were unreachable.

Hopefully,  you weren't served any type of notice.  Maybe this is why your former landlord is uncooperative.

Just a heads up.        Good luck.

MBOhio2
Established Contributor

As much as you don't want to hear it, the CA is correct... many creditors refuse to delete paid collections because 1) they don't have to and 2) many feel that in order to keep the integrity of the credit report/scoring model, correct information should not be deleted. What's hurting you is the mere fact that you ever had a collection, not the fact that it was unpaid/paid.

I would recommend sending the CA GW letters asking them to please delete. You can find samples letters by searching these forums. However, if they continue to refuse, then the negative information will remain for 7 years from the DOFD.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 3 of 10
oneilldn
Contributor

Jason,

Write a letter or email to the CA owner, you can find it online or on your state business registry (online as well). This worked for me. You need to jump the midle man, and this is the way to do it.

02/2009- EQ 502/TU 516/EX 499
11/2009- EQ 701/TU 709/EX 721(fako)
03/2011- EQ 719/TU 729/EX 733 (by lender)

'NEVER GIVE UP"
Message 4 of 10
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

NEVER GIVE UP!!'

Finally after 2 years of trying I talked to the CEO of a certain CA and explained my side of the apartment collection. He said it will be deleted.

It wasn't easy though. I could write a book on this. At first he gave me the "well it has to stay on there for 7 years" but then I explained how it was wrong in the first place because of a fire and etc etc.

Then, I did him a favor because he did me a favor. (Karma) I told him when I was attempting to contact him I accidentally found his personal home phone number. I told him I think thats not right (found it on a credit forum) and that I would contact the forum admin and have it removed. He very much appreciated this and I almost have a new friend out of the deal!!! 

Collection since 12/05 and he said it will be gone within 72 hours. Praise baby Jesus and NEVER GIVE UP!

By the way I also went though over 14 months of back and forth emails with personnel in the CA.

Message 5 of 10
veracious
Established Contributor

Congrats!  Jason, nice work.

So this will expunge all traces of this incident ?  If so,  then,  Double Congrats!!

JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Yep I believe this will totally delete the account. The CEO said "delete" so I am waiting to see it anxiously.
Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 10
mauve
Valued Contributor

This made me think of Talladega Nights

JasonBourneOfCredit wrote:

NEVER GIVE UP!!'

Finally after 2 years of trying I talked to the CEO of a certain CA and explained my side of the apartment collection. He said it will be deleted.

It wasn't easy though. I could write a book on this. At first he gave me the "well it has to stay on there for 7 years" but then I explained how it was wrong in the first place because of a fire and etc etc.

Then, I did him a favor because he did me a favor. (Karma) I told him when I was attempting to contact him I accidentally found his personal home phone number. I told him I think thats not right (found it on a credit forum) and that I would contact the forum admin and have it removed. He very much appreciated this and I almost have a new friend out of the deal!!! 

Collection since 12/05 and he said it will be gone within 72 hours. Praise baby Jesus and NEVER GIVE UP!

By the way I also went though over 14 months of back and forth emails with personnel in the CA.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

@mauve wrote:

This made me think of Talladega Nights

@JasonBourneOfCredit wrote:

NEVER GIVE UP!!'

Ha, Mauve thats what I was channeling!

Woke up, checked my fico today and my score is up 52 POINTS!!! Record deleted. I now have "good credit!" Im freakin ecstatic!!

Message 9 of 10
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Oh how I love Talladega Nights.... So JasonBourne, your current score is 724? That's awesome, congrats!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.