Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Credit Card Success Stories/Advice

tag
ahh10000
Valued Member

Store Credit Card Success Stories/Advice

I am curious as to the purpose of getting store credit cards. I have low utilization in that my total CL are $1500.00 and I only have ten dollars on one card.  I have seen the shopping cart trick and have gotten offers for multiple stores.  I have two charge offs that will be dropping from my CR this December.  Is it advisable to get a store card or is there really no point?  Curious as to the success stories in raising their CS by getting these cards and what they continually do with them to raise your score.  I just don't want these to drop my score by adding a new account.  Thanks for all the advice

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Re: Store Credit Card Success Stories/Advice

IMHO, the only store cards that are worth it are the ones that provide rewards, can be used at multiple stores and double as a regular credit card. I made mistakes in the past acquiring regular store cards that did not provide any of the perks mentioned. I am looking to obtain a TJX rewards Mastercard in the near future. I need at least one more cc. At the moment, I have NFCU nrewards.

The TJX rewards Mastercard can be used at 3-4 stores which I frequent, earns rewards, and is a regular Mastercard. It's like 4-5 cc in one!

Just my two cents...Smiley Wink

Starting Score: FICO TU 591 FICO EX 581 FICO EQ 555
Current Score: FICO TU 662 FICO EX 652 FICO EQ 643
Goal Score: 700 CLUB

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 2 of 5
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Its often said that that you should have two regular credit cards and a store card for a good mix of credit.  I cant really say that it will help your score from personal experience because I had a few before all of my repairs. The biggest benefit of store cards is usually that they are easier to get, give more positive trade lines and can help keep your utilization lower. I wouldnt go and get just any store card because I could. The ones I have chosen are all places that I shop regularly and they all seem to have some sort of reward structure these days. I dont personally worry too much about whether or not they can be used any where, I worry more about whether or not they meet my shopping habits and if I can gain something by having them. 

Message 3 of 5
lessonslearned
New Contributor

I applied for Amazon, Walmart, American Eagle, Old Navy, and Target. I shop at all these places and won't keep a balance on any of the cards. It's given me a little score boost because it dropped my utilization down a bit.

Message 4 of 5
jre
Regular Contributor

A lot of the store cards offer "member only" promotional offerings such as 0% APR financing for a specific period of time, rewards, and other discounts for cardmembers only.

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.