Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Situation for Me and Need Advice

tag
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

Strange Situation for Me and Need Advice

I am new here so would like to introduce myself.  I am retired and for the most part debt free.  I have no credit card so recently applied for one and was denied based on:  "Serious delinquency and derogatory public record or collection filed, time since delinqunecy is too recent or unknown, number of accounts with delinquency."  One of the accounts was Amazon.  I have made many purchases through Avon and always paid through PayPal.  I called Amazon and learned that I had paid with an Amazon.com Store Card for my last purchase.  I told the CSR that I did recall applying for the card when I made the purchase, but that I had never received a bill or any kind of communication from that card, and that I had never received a card.  The CSR at Amazon was very helpful and explained to me that the holder of the Amazon Store Card is a different entity and she put me in touch with that company.  The fellow I talked to could not tell me what I had purchased nor when, he could tell me only the balance on the card.  I told him that I had applied for such card, but never received any notification from them in the form of a card nor a bill.  He asked if someone else in my home could have done this.  I told him, "No."  He then asked if I was disputing the bill and I replied that I was.

Last week I received a letter from that company, GE Capital Retail Bank, advising that they would be conducting an investigation concerning the billing dispute and would not charge any additional interest charges but, however, I was still required to make payments on the undisputed portion of the account balance.  In addition, they asked for more detailied information:  the specific sale amounts, dates of sales, etc. 

I began to education myself about this kind of situation and though I understand somewhat, I still need some advice and quidance from you.

The reason this is strange is that when I looked into my PayPal account for proof of payment to Amazon, I could not find it.  That started me researching the matter.  Then much to my chagrin, I found the order which had been placed the same day I applied for the Amazon Store Card and the item was charged to the store card.  I did receive the item, but never received a bill nor a card.  So now I know I do owe this debt which is less than $50.  But the day I talked to the GE Capital Bank representative, he stated I owed $144.  I do want to pay the bill; however, not in that amount.

My question is should I go ahead and pay the actual cost of the item I received or should I write a letter to them asking for a waiver of the alleged additional "interest" charged?   Also, from my reading, I was under the impression that GE Capital had to tell me when and what item was purchased and the cost - have I misread this?

Hoping you can help me.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
KAISMOM
Contributor

Re: Strange Situation for Me and Need Advice

Amazon is a bit tricky...especially at first. They do send a paper card with the account number, and you have to pay online. I don't recall getting a paper bill. Just as it is my with bill me later account, entirely online, you have to do you due dilligence. It sounds like interest charges accrued over time. If it were me I'd just pay it, but explain the misunderstanding so you may be able to get it deleted off your credit report. Did they close the account?

Southwest Premier & Plus 25.8k I Alaska Air 21k I Discover It 16k I United Explorer 15k I Chase Business Ink Cash 12k I Wells Fargo 2.5k I Bill Me Later 7k I Amazon 3.5k

Current Scores:
(TU) 813, (EQ) 786
Goal Score: 820
Message 2 of 7
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the response, Kaismom.  Because I never got a card I thought they didn't approve the application.  Do they not even send you a bill online? 

I  have never used a bill me later account though I have seen that offered on PayPal.

Will have to check to see if they closed the account and let you know.

Message 3 of 7
Sock
Valued Member

Are you sure you aren't a victim of identity fraud?

Message 4 of 7
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

Believe me, I know about identity theft since I have twice been the victim (once even offered the Witness Protection Program in case I had to testify).  But, I have to be honest, in this case it was not identity theft.  I never got a bill or a card so thought the credit card was denied.  I still don't understand why they don't bill you - even if they don't do a paper bill by mail, they could do an electronic bill.

I did check and the card has been closed, Kaismom.

I am hoping someone will jump in here and advise whether I should do a letter to them without payment, but stating exactly what occured and promise payment for deletion of the negative on my credit report.

Message 5 of 7
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

Believe it or not, the Amazon Store Card deleted their derogatory input to the CRA.  The goodwill letter did the trick for me.

Message 6 of 7
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Awesome. Some people understand things better than others. Better than getting a robot on the phone definitely. Congrats
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.