Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategies for Rebuilding Credit

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Strategies for Rebuilding Credit

Is the CO the only negative on your report?  How old is it?  Do you know what your current FICO scores are?

Message 11 of 15
jchu2013
Valued Member

We are on the same boat but I have no baddies in my CR.

According to my research, I guess you need to get secured card to start with because at this point, if you are lucky, probably only Cap 1 will issue you unsecured credit card with 300 cl, with annual fee and high APR.

Regarding secured credit card, I got approved from BOA and US bank last week. I put 4k as deposit to each card so that I have 8k in credit. It will help in debt ratio (I will PIF anyway) and hopefully show future lender that I have decent limit card, which will make them approve me with higher limit. Plus, BOA secured card can be PC to its reward card AKA 3-2-1 rewards.

I did everything now according to my research. I might get a secured personal loan from bank just to mix my credit. and, after 6 months, I will get a car loan and most probably some useful unsecured credit card and store card. It depends on how my score will look like after 6 months. In Jan/Feb 2014, my 2 secured cards should graduate, which I will ask for CLI on both cards and another round of applying for better credit card. After that, gardening one more year and my credit file should be flawless.

This is my strategies. But, I need advice from time to time just to be safe.

My current situation :
Credit Score : NONE.
BOA secured card (4000), US bank secured card (4000)
4 Inquiries in Dec 2012
0 BAD

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

Is the CO the only negative on your report?  How old is it?  Do you know what your current FICO scores are?

I'm not really sure about the charge off. According to memory there may have been a debt that was charged off nearly seven years ago, yet my Transunion credit report is indicating I have two accounts open, of which I'm not sure is accurate. The amounts owed don't seem right to me, and although I'm not able to look at it right now (because I've misplaced my login info and they want me to call in), I think there was something to suggest that the one account that might have been a valid debt may have been reaged. That is why I was thinking I may want to dispute and do debt validation on any baddies showing up on my credit report once I have a better understanding of how the process goes. 

As for the credit scores, I'm not really sure what my FICO scores are. I had tried to to find out through myFICO.com but had a problem doing so, and then I went through Equifax to get them, I later learned that the scores they gave me, are instead FAKO scores as discussed in this thread - Unable to obtain FICO Score. I tried asking for more information, but I guess the moderator responding assumed I was already satisfied with the answer stopped tracking it. So I'm still not quite sure about the credit scores, or what I need to do to get all the ones that matter.

So what I was trying to figure out in this thread without going into all of that is whether or not there is any reason for me not to be saving more money with a credit card that offers a cash back % on purchases, of which the most simple answer thus far would seem to be that it would result in unnecessary "hard" pulls on my credit report, which would do me no good because I wouldn't qualify. As for getting a cash back debit card either through Paypal or a Credit Union, which typically offers a lower cash back % than credit cards, it would seem that there's not much of a reason not to get one of those if I'm wanting to save a little bit of money on my purchases. Applying for one may result in a "hard" pull, but at least I should be able to get one, or I would think anyway.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jchu2013 wrote:

According to my research, I guess you need to get secured card to start with because at this point, if you are lucky, probably only Cap 1 will issue you unsecured credit card with 300 cl, with annual fee and high APR.

I've been thinking about getting the Capital One Secured Credit Card, and depositing the smallest amount allowed, like $49, and setting it up so that $1 a month is donated to a charity, with $1 automatically transferred from my bank account to CapitalOne each month.  That way I can play the "oh yes, I can pay on time every month game" without actually having to do much of anything as I plan to always have at least $1 in my bank account. Although reading about you putting as much as $4,000 down as a deposit on one of your cards has got be me rethinking whether or not that is a good idea. 

The rationale behind my idea is that debt-to-credit ratio part of credit scores just looks at percentages as opposed to dollar amounts. So why tie up more money than necessary in a deposit, to which the answer would seem to be to qualify for higher limits later on, but what I'm wondering is whether or not there is really any way to predict how much a deposit into a secured card now will benefit you later on as to know if it's worthwhile? That is whether or not there is any sort of guideline that creditors follow in terms of incrementally increasing credit limits as to give the consumer any idea of what's possible or realistic within the foreseeable future (like credit limit = 2x deposit in one year with no lates, or overlimits).

@jchu2013 wrote:

Regarding secured credit card, I got approved from BOA and US bank last week. I put 4k as deposit to each card so that I have 8k in credit. It will help in debt ratio (I will PIF anyway) and hopefully show future lender that I have decent limit card, which will make them approve me with higher limit. Plus, BOA secured card can be PC to its reward card AKA 3-2-1 rewards. 

I'm surprised anyone would be interested in a BOA card. Even if I could qualify for their reward card, I don't think I'd want to touch it as it would seem the fees would quickly offset any rewards earned through it. Then maybe again, that depends on how much you spend with it. If you've got thousands to put into a card, then maybe you have the kind of income to make it work, but I'm thinking if you're a paycheck to paycheck kind of person, the card will cost more in fees than it will ever accrue in rewards, making it a losing proposition for the consumer. If anything I'd think a card like The Chase Freedom Card that features a 5% cash back would be a better bet for anyone that is able to qualify for one.

Too bad Chase doesn't offer a secured credit card as to be able to later graduate up into one of their rewards cards. I tried googling it, and learned that Chase discontinued their secured credit card offerings years ago without any plans to bring them back. 

@jchu2013 wrote:

I did everything now according to my research. I might get a secured personal loan from bank just to mix my credit. and, after 6 months, I will get a car loan and most probably some useful unsecured credit card and store card. It depends on how my score will look like after 6 months. In Jan/Feb 2014, my 2 secured cards should graduate, which I will ask for CLI on both cards and another round of applying for better credit card. After that, gardening one more year and my credit file should be flawless.

Those sound like some good ideas, or at least the credit diversification aspect of it, provided it doesn't lead to overextending one's self in the process. For someone on a tighter budget, I'm not sure as much credit diversification would be advisable when weighing the negatives vs. the positives. I guess it just depends on your income, and how you manage money. If you can afford an auto loan, and all those other things than maybe it's not such a bad idea, but if a person can't, it would seem their options for improving their score are a bit more limited.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newportguy wrote:

What you need to do is work on building a soild report and open (like 2 ) secured CC"s ...... Cap1 and Wells Fargo have great Secured cards

Is there any particular reason to go with both instead of just one?

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.