Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling with Bad Previous Credit Decisions

tag
spiritofexpression
New Visitor

Struggling with Bad Previous Credit Decisions

Hello My Fico Forum,

I sure hope you can offer some guidance.  I am a 31 year old business professional who recently is headed back to school.  In my earlier adult life I was extremely reckless with my credit.  I have been making amends to my credit going on 3 years now; I budget and pay off everything I can and always pay in cash. I do not live out of my means today.  I have a student loan of $14,000 which is now in good standing; I just completed a Credit Rehab program.  I'm very excited about this.  

About a year ago I purchased a used vehicle from Carmax at an extremely high interest rate but it was necessary for me to get into this loan to get to and from work.   I tried going through LendingTree.com to see about getting a refinance on this car loan to lower my interest.  I was denied by 5 different companys. Smiley Sad  One of the main reasons it says for the denial is, "Public collection and no revolving accounts."  I just found out that I have a judgment on my record from Accept Acceptance for about $5,000.  I had no idea about this and apparently they "served" me papers years ago and I never showed up to court.  I was never served papers, ever. Smiley Sad  In addition, I want to open up a secured credit card.  I have $350 to put down as a deposit but I can't get a company to offer me even a measely secured credit card to start building my credit up.  I feel very discouraged as I have been making ontime payments and catching up with my debt for the past 3 years.   I'm at a loss.  Is there any company out there who will take my money for me to open up a secured credit card?  Any suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Sleepless and feeling hopeless....in Florida

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Struggling with Bad Previous Credit Decisions

Congrats on your rebuild try

SDFCU

good luck and Welcome to the forum

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Struggling with Bad Previous Credit Decisions

Contact the courts where the judgment is entered and get a copy off all the paperwork they have.  You need to see who signed for the papers.  Those laws will decide if you were properly served.  If you were not you can probably get the judgment vacated.

What else is on your CR?  Charge offs, collections, late payments etc.

If you haven't already, get a free copy of your reports from annualcreditreport.com.  You get one from each CRA every 12 months.

What about your banking institution?  Do they offer secured cards?

It may seem hopeless at the moment but it isn't. 

Welcome to the forums.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.