Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck with paid/satisfied judgment?

tag
windupbird
New Contributor

Stuck with paid/satisfied judgment?

I had a judgment that was paid in July 2011 (old Cap1 account that was handled by attorney/CA).  I had part of the balance paid prior to court date but attorney filed and even though I paid the remainder of the balance when I said I was going to, they did not vacate (I did not know I could ask for that at the time), I just paid and then they sent a "Satisfaction of Judgment" (now showing up as paid judgment).  The attorney (plaintiff) told me that there is nothing they can do for me at this point.  I think I am stuck with this on my credit report for 5 1/2 more years Smiley Sad  I am in Massachusetts.  This is the worst mark on my credit report, IMO.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
novabama
Frequent Contributor

Re: Stuck with paid/satisfied judgment?

Well.. not that I'm saying you should do this, but if there are any inaccuracies, you could dispute it to verify all info... a lot of counties will not verify because of the sheer amount of volume of requests they would get. I imagine you could always contac them again for a GW to vacate the judgment as if it were void... good luck.

Message 2 of 5
windupbird
New Contributor

I've tried calling Cap1 (no luck) plus I don't think they have any say in how a public record is handled/reported.  I tried emailing and finally today speaking with the CA/attorney who could not help me.  Tried calling the courthouse (phone rang and rang, will try again maybe in person) but I don't think I have a good chance going that route.  Had LexLaw send DV letters to all 3 CRAs but that hasn't helped, only shows date filed plus date of judgment now, whereas before DV letters only showed judgment date.  One CRA is reporting abstract of judgment now where before it was satisfied.  I feel like I'm spinning my wheels here.....

Message 3 of 5
hdrider07
Regular Contributor

Reach out to the court house again, find out how much it would cost to file a motion to vacate a judgment.  The call the attorney and offer to pay them the money to file the motion to vacate and whatever they would charge you for their time to do it.  That really is your only option for a judgment.

Message 4 of 5
novabama
Frequent Contributor

@hdrider07 wrote:

Reach out to the court house again, find out how much it would cost to file a motion to vacate a judgment.  The call the attorney and offer to pay them the money to file the motion to vacate and whatever they would charge you for their time to do it.  That really is your only option for a judgment.

+1

I found the form on my county's website. you should be able to just go up there and find it if you can't get anyone on the phone. best of luck...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.