Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Rehab program?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Student Loan Rehab program?

about a year ago I had a student loan removed from my credit report for paying it off in 9 months. at the same time, another student loan that was in collections told me they couldnt do that program because it was in collections. Ive been reading online, and people are saying this isnt true. Can I do the government rehab program on student loans even in collections? do i need to contact the OC? I would love to pay for delete. Also I had a CC with discover when I was an 18yr old college student, owed $300, after fees and everything else it went up to $1100, anyone have any success with pay for delete with discover? and if so can you pay for delete the judgement as well as the debt, if i get it in writing?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
apandabear
Regular Contributor

Re: Student Loan Rehab program?

Pretty sure this belongs in the Student Loans board, but I can speak to the rehab program.

I was laid off in 2009, and student loans were the first thing I started to ignore. Everything else went to hell after that. 

I've been recovering and rebuilding and working some good jobs recently, but it wasn't until my Federal Tax Return was hijacked (offset) this year that I bothered to start paying.

My account had gone from Sallie Mae (Original Creditor) to USA Funds (Guarantor?) to a collection agency (Allied Interstate). Sallie Mae would not talk to me. USA Funds would not talk to me. I had to deal with the CA.

I am currently in the beginning stages of rehabilitation with Allied interstate. 9 continuous months of payments, based on salary/expendable income, then I can actually begin true rehabilitation. It goes something like this.. 4 months = tax offset/wage garnishment ends. 6 months = you can apply for financial aid and go back to school. 9 months = you can try to have your debt purchased from the collection agency, or "rehabilitated" back to an installment loan.

That's how I understand it anyway. I'm at the 5 month mark (I made 2 months of payments in my 1st month) now. I'll be sure to keep the forums posted on how that goes, but definitely check out the "Student Loans" section of the forum. I'm sure there are tons of people that have been through the rehab process.

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 2 of 4
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

A word of caution: Be careful paying multiple months worth of payments in one month. I did that, and my next month's payment was still due.

In other words, I knew I was going to be out of country in May, so in April I paid two separate payments, marking one of them as being the May payment. Didn't matter. My May payment was still due.

A lot of the emphasis in the rehabbing of student loans is not just that you pay, but that you pay regularly. On an agreed upon schedule. Not in "sproradic lump sums", which is what they said to me.

YMMV, but thought I should share what happened to me.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 3 of 4
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

sorry about being in the wrong topic. still new Smiley Happy but I did a student loan rehab last year, they divided my balance into 9 equal payments and at the end of the nine months if the balance was paid in full and I never missed a payment during that nine months, they would remove it like it never happened. They did, but when I attempted to do this with the debt collector they said it was too late. just wondering if it really was too late or is there a time frame on the program. I dont owe much in student loans, 270 a month for nine months would take care of it and Id pay for it to be removed, even though my credit report shows a $0 balance.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.