Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan repayment question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan repayment question

Hey all, 

My partner has some student loans in deferment while she finishes school. Since they show as installment loans, would it change the reporting/help to start making small payments now? We can easily throw 50 bucks a month at them, but we could also throw that money towards our house down payment fund. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Student Loan repayment question

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all, 

My partner has some student loans in deferment while she finishes school. Since they show as installment loans, would it change the reporting/help to start making small payments now? We can easily throw 50 bucks a month at them, but we could also throw that money towards our house down payment fund. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

I would not be putting money towards loans that are in deferment.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Installment loans are not included in your percent utilization calculation.

Percent util applies only to your discretionary (revolving) credit, not installment.

You dont have a percent util of a loan amount, you have a percent remaining of the original loan balance.

FICO places very little weight on remaining balance of an installment loan in its scoring, as any new loan will be at 100%.

Little scoring advantage to paying off at an accelerated rate...........

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking more for payment history/mix of credit. Utilization we are golden on Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.