Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans HELP

tag
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

Student Loans HELP

Good morning everyone,

I have been rebuilding my credit for the past few months and have come a long way thanks to this site. My student loans defaulted and when to collections where my check was garnished until it was paid in full. This happened from 3/14-7/14 and now my balance is 0 All of my student loans are paid off however it looks terrible on my credit report and I am sure this is holding down my scores. Should I write a good will letter to Department of Education asking for mercy? If so what exactly would they change on my credit? That it was never defaulted and paid as agreed? Will they delete the "at least 120 days or more than four payments past due"? See below how it looks on my report. Anything I can do to make this any better?

Us Department Of Edu

10/2001

Collection account

Details

Us Department Of Edu

1/2003

Collection account

Details

Us Department Of Edu

6/2002

Collection account

Details

Us Department Of Edu

9/2002

Collection account

Details

Us Department Of Edu

10/2002

Collection account

Details

Us Department Of Edu

6/2002

Collection account

Details

Us Department Of Edu

9/2002

Collection account

Details

U S Department Of Ed

10/2002

At least 120 days or more than four payments past due

Details

U S Department Of Ed

9/2002

Details

U S Department Of Ed

6/2002

Details

U S Department Of Ed

1/2003

Details

U S Department Of Ed

9/2002

Details

U S Department Of Ed

6/2002

Details

U S Department Of Ed

10/2001

Details

Started 6/2014 EX 594 EQ 617 TU 580 FICO's Goal is 740's and up
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
empiror22
Regular Contributor

Re: Student Loans HELP

I have basically the same problem, i paid mine off in 2012 and i have sent a letter about every 45 days trying to get them to "fix" my CR with no luck.  I have asked them to delete, or change to a good pay status, or pretty much any thing i can.  To be honest they are almost impossible to get to "fix" anything, I even tried to get them to update the payments dates correctly (i.e. they say i paid on a day i didn't, or they say i didn't pay on a day i did) again with no luck.  I have asked the CRAs (experain, equifax, transunion) all to fix the problem.  I have even sent cancelled checks for payments, bank statements and payment history from Great Lakes to try and fix the problems, again no luck.  The payment history on all three reports are wildly incorrect, and vary from each other just as wildly.  I have had no luck, but i think you should try.... that way they see that many people are affected.   I should have done a rehab loan, if so they probably would have fixed my CRs.  But i just paid in full and basically they said if you had the money to pay in full you should have paid it before the default. 

I also have tried the individual banks that where the loan orginators, loan servicers (Great lakes in my case), The department of ED, The ED ombudsman and i even sent a letter to the White House.  But i will not stopped until they fix atleast the false reporting, and hopefully they delete the whole account.

wish i could be more positive or give you better advice, all i can say is, it don't hurt to try.

Message 2 of 7
empiror22
Regular Contributor

to add to other post,  These are hurting your credit.  I have a 700 plus credit score (pulled from recent credit apps all in the last 2 months), however i get declined for credit or low limits or high APR %, the reason is always too many bad accounts/ bad payment history.  the only bad things on my credit are the student loans, everything else is positive.

Message 3 of 7
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

And it seems as though they were updating every month until recently! This whole thing looks absolutely terrible. *sigh*

Student Loan AccountUs Department Of Edu

Status as ofDate opened [?]Date of last activity [?]Loan type [?]Largest past balance [?]Terms [?]Account Type [?]Account holder [?]Industry
Jun, 2014
Oct, 2001
Dec, 2011
Education Loan
$2,625
(36 Months)
Installment
Individual
Federal
Descriptions [?]
  • Student loan assigned to government
  • Collection account

No contact information provided by Equifax

Balance [?] Current Status [?] Past Due Amount [?]
$132Collection account$132
Seven year payment history [?]30 days late60 days late90+ days late
0 times
0 times
16 times (May 2014, Apr 2014, Mar 2014, Feb 2014, Jan 2014, Dec 2013, Nov 2013, Oct 2013, Sep 2013, Aug 2013, Jul 2013, Jun 2013, May 2013, Mar 2013, Feb 2013, Jan 2013)
Recent payment history [?]
UnknownUnknownUnknownUnknownUnknownUnknownUnknownCollectionCollectionCollectionUnknownCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollectionCollection
Message 4 of 7
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

@empiror22 wrote:

to add to other post,  These are hurting your credit.  I have a 700 plus credit score (pulled from recent credit apps all in the last 2 months), however i get declined for credit or low limits or high APR %, the reason is always too many bad accounts/ bad payment history.  the only bad things on my credit are the student loans, everything else is positive.

Thank you, I will try to do everything I can to rectify this. I made a mistake back then and paid for it now with garnishments which was the worse but its all paid in full now and I just want it to look half way decent on my reports. If you have a 700 plus score and still get denied for things, then I have no chance in hell unless these are fixed. Also why is there so many different loans listed??? Why cant they just combine them all?

Message 5 of 7
empiror22
Regular Contributor

well mine started with only two orginals,  but when they went to collections they split in to each quarter/semester/term.  It is very sad they 2 accounts became 6, all bad... in the remarks area they say things like default, assaigned to gov etc.  I know for 100% fact that they held me up from getting a home mortgage about a 7 months ago.  I feel the same way, yes i messed up, yes i should have done better.  But this started 12 years ago and i'm still paying the price even after i paid in full.  worst part i was total that doing the rehab loan would not help my credit or allow me to go back to school.  both of which is false, its sad that the collection agency knew i could pay and wanted to make good on my promise to pay, that they gave false infomation in order to collect their fees, LOL.

Message 6 of 7
MaryJane197
Regular Contributor

I'm,trying to get my recently paid off student loans that was in default taken off as well. I tried to negotiate with the DOE before paying off but they would only agree to update as paid. So I just went ahead and paid. But I'm still sending them GW letters every month. Three of my student loans accidentally got listed as included in BK. Dunno how that happened.
07/14/20:-TransUnion: 528 / Equifax: 521, / Experian: 666
Filed BK 01/24/2020
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.