Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans In Default, Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans In Default, Question

I have 2 private student loans, in default from a really long time ago. Originally my mom was supposed to pay them off, but she didn't, and I am now going to try to purchase a home, however that's pretty much impossible because my credit score is 417!!!! OMG! I don't know what to do! They even have a judgement on me for both of those loans. I called them today to see what can be done, and they told me that I have 2 options, I can make them a lump sum offer or start a payment arrangment. I'm not sure as to what I can do. Here are the numbers.

Loan 1: Principle owed 14831.48, OWED NOW WITH INTEREST 28221.14

Loan 2: Principle owed 6528.25, OWED NOW WITH INTEREST 12142.66

I'm in such a bind, I'm by no means debt free, and I don't have the money to pay them the full amounts owed. Any suggestions? Oh, and the judgement that I have on my credit report is only 1 and it's for $14831. They're also reporting these loans as still open and thus every month they're still saying I'm late. The last activity on these loans, was on October 16th, 2009.

I need someones advice as to what I can do to get these removed from my credit, or corrected somehow. Please help! Newbie here, I'm not even sure what my real fico score is.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Student Loans In Default, Question

You remain in a delinquency status until the debt is satisfied, so they can continue to update their reporting to show that the debt remains delinquent.

It is a loan, not a revolving account, so there is no need for them to close it to further charges.

I do not see their reporting as basis for obtaining any deletion of their accounts from your credit report.

Since you have a judgment, then payment has been ordered by the court. 

With a payment plan being your only apparent option, then it would appear that is the course.

Once paid, you may be able to obtain a good-will deletion of the credit reporting made by the creditor.

Since the judgement remains unpaid, then it will continue to show for at least 7 years from the date of entry of the judgment by the court, and can legally remain past 7 years while the judgment remains enforceable.  The creditor did not report the judgment.... it found its way into your credit report via the CRA search of the public records.  They apparently only found one of the two judgments, but could at any time also discover the second judgment.

Deletion of the judgment from your credit report cannot be obtained by any agreement with the creditor, and thus the presence of the unpaid, delinquent debt would appear to remain until it is paid and past 7 years from date of judgment.

After it is paid, you may be able, depending upon the procedures in your state, to motion the court to vacate the judgment based on its satisfaction if you wish deletion of the judgment prior to 7 years from its date of entry by the court.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans In Default, Question

I would ask them if the have a loan rahab program, where you make a number of ontime payments and they remove the default status and replace it with "paying as agreed",, worth a try I think

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.