Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans aging off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans aging off?

How long do they report on CR?  Does it go from when they were opened or transferred to another loan (all of my loans were consolidated).  I have late payments dating back from 2009 and 2010 (GW letters have not worked).

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans aging off?

Usually for 7 years

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

From when they were transferred or first reported on?

Message 3 of 7
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

Should be from the date it was 30 days late or more.  I guess...each late *from when it happened* to 7 years from that point.  If you still paying on them after, and no more lates......then it turns positive..

EQ8: 646 EQ5: 652 V3.0: 665 **8/2015
TU8: 635 TU4: 700 V3.0 :663 **8/2015
EX8: 636 EX3: 670 V3.0: ? **8/2015
CCD Util 35%

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It depends upon whether the student loans were government insured or guaranteed.

Exclusion periods for those types of student loans have the exclusion period extended under the provisions of the Higher Education Act.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditor name:  Department of Education, last late was August 2009 (120 days late).  7 total missed payments before on this account.

Creditor name:  University of Minnesota, last late was January 2012 (180 days late).  7 total missed payments before on this account.

These are the only baddies (along with a state tax lien that is paid/released) I have on my credit and seeing what I can do or if I just have to wait (GW letters have not worked yet).  

I have one late on my great lakes loan but I emailed them the other day and they said they will take the late away, GW email worked for them!  Although it is still has not yet reflected on my CK, however I understand it will probably take a month of two to post.  

Both loans listed above are paid/closed as I have consolidated my loans with Fedloan.  The lates were from a period in my life where I obviously did not care about credit.  For some reason that University of Minneosta loan does not show on TU but does on EQ.  Wondering if I have to wait 7 years when the lates happened or when they were officially transferred which both would have been mid 2013.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt is now satisfied, then the montly delinquencies will become excluded no later than 7 years from the date of actual occurence of the delinquency.

FCRA 605(a)(5).

The actual reporting of the loans have no exclusion dates, only derogs reported under the account.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.