Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans or new car loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loans or new car loan?

I've recently taken out a new car loan for $15k, but also have about $12k in student loans still due after applying $2k a couple weeks ago, out of $14,250 originaly borrowed.   These loans are my oldest accounts as well.  My question is which item should I pay down first in order to have the most impact on my scores?  The car loan is the highest interest(~10%), so from a cost standpoint that an easy decision(Student loans are ~4%).  However, my understanding is that since that's a new loan, the % outstanding has less of an impact on my scores.  I would like to refi the car in a few months as my scores improve, if that makes a difference.  I'm willing to pay some unnecessary interest if I have to, in order for my scores to improve faster.  Not looking for a quick fix, just trying to make sure that I am not wasting time either.  Would like to buy a house before too long.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Student loans or new car loan?

Th continued impact of a student loan on your scoring is dependent upon whether or not it is a federal student loan with delinquencies or other derogs.

Derogs on federal student loans are required to be reported, and have longer exclusion periods than other accounts based on provisions of the Higher Education Act.

Those extended exclusion periods are negated once the loan is paid off.

Is your student loan federal, and if so, what derogs have been previously reported?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are federal and they have 7 lates on each(4 loans). The last late was about a year and a half ago. Thanks!  I am going to dispute the lates though, since I have paperwork showing a forebearance during that period. Not optimistic it will work in my favor. Haven't heard many people have success removing anything with Navient, who services all 4 loans. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, to clarify, are you saying that I should focus any extra dollars on the SL?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.