Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupidly cut up all cards a few years ago

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stupidly cut up all cards a few years ago

After decades of having a stellar credit track record (fico >800), there was a point when I was sick of the whole credit/owing thing, paid off all debts and cancelled the cards.  I thought that was a good thing to do...idiot me.  So here I am a few years later, apparently no better off than had I declared bankrupcy - no sign of me on the credit landsape at all.

This week, I applied (and was denied) for unsecured cards through Chase and my bank, so last night I got an unsecured card last night from Capital One ($49 for $200).  My question is, will the road back to credit existence take the same amount of time as if I had a bad history to overcome?  Most of my accounts were closed in 2001-2002, though my Chase card was closed in 2006 so at least that one sits within the 10-year period. 

Thanks for any advise.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Stupidly cut up all cards a few years ago

You don't have any negatives to overcome so it will be faster. However, credit is tighter now than it was then.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, that cheered me up. Smiley Happy  What cracks me up is the mindgame aspect of all this, it's not even like I'm going to need a loan or buy a house in the near future, but the helplessness of realizing something you took for granted is not available to you anymore (at least, without substantial time investment) was a real downer.

Message 3 of 6
mnosal9
Regular Contributor

I did the same thing with my higher credit limit cards. I thought hell might as well cancel them so I dont use them. No im rebuilding and stuck with $500 dollar credit limits. The only thing I can do now is wait be patient and rebuild.

Starting: 6/2012 : EX: 485(FAKO) EQ: 490(FICO) Trans: 482(FAKO)
Current : 4/2014: EX: 650(FICO) EQ: 664 (FICO) Trans: 681 (FICO)

Cards: NPSL Amex Green (AU), $11500 Discover IT, $4000 Quicksilver One, $3500 Bank of America Travel Rewards,$3000 Amex BCE,$3000 Quicksilver One, $3000 AA, $2500 Sallie Mae MC, $5000 Citibank AA, $1500 Barclay, $1200 Macys
~Back to the Garden~

Goal Score: 700 Across!

Gardening til 8/2014!!
Message 4 of 6
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Yes silly me too! I closed all cc accounts for a couple of years, paid by check and cash. My credit file got thin fast! Fortunately, I was able to re-start relatively easily. I will NOT ever do that again.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad I'm not alone, you guys.  Ironic though, how you think you're doing the most responsible thing but alas, get bit in the butt for it.  Oh well, live and learn.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.