cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success! Judgement deleted!

tag
DanaC

Success! Judgement deleted!

I had a (jointly-shared) eviction that eventually became a judgment for nearly $5,000 back in 2009. 

Their law office came after me, calling my job, serving me with garnishment papers, threatening me, etc.  I showed upto the wage garnishment court date, and the judge ruled that I was EXEMPT from garnishment.  (My income & dependents on paper qualify me as "low income" = Exempt) 

I later tried to settle, they refused to accept anything less than the full amount. 

I disputed this judgement just to see what would happen, and checked my results today, and it was deleted!  From all 3 bureaus.  Is this too good to be true?  Does the OC delete the original record once the debt is sold to a CA?  I'm wondering if maybe the debt was sold or something, and if I should expect it to reappear under a different creditor's name....

Not only is it deleted from my CR, but it's deleted from Hubby's as well, and he didn't even dispute or have any contact with them.  I fought them every step of the way, maybe they got sick of me?

Not that I'm complaining or anything, but why would this just go away?  It's only been 4 years.....

Starting Score: 526
Current Score: TU 730 EXP 715 EQ 705/b>
Goal Score: 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Success! Judgement deleted!

Congrats! Even though the judgment was deleted it still means the judgment is active and can still be collected upon. I'd save $$$ on the side until the SOL for collecting on the judgment expires. 

Who was the plaintiff? The CA? If it was the CA then certainly don't mess with them until you had 100% saved or SOL for collecting on the judgment expires. However, you can safely GW the OC since they are out of the picture. 

Why a deletion? Maybe the court or whomever reports for the court couldn't verify the info, or didn't want to take the time to verify it.

Message 2 of 4
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@DanaC wrote:

I had a (jointly-shared) eviction that eventually became a judgment for nearly $5,000 back in 2009. 

Their law office came after me, calling my job, serving me with garnishment papers, threatening me, etc.  I showed upto the wage garnishment court date, and the judge ruled that I was EXEMPT from garnishment.  (My income & dependents on paper qualify me as "low income" = Exempt) 

I later tried to settle, they refused to accept anything less than the full amount. 

I disputed this judgement just to see what would happen, and checked my results today, and it was deleted!  From all 3 bureaus.  Is this too good to be true?  Does the OC delete the original record once the debt is sold to a CA?  I'm wondering if maybe the debt was sold or something, and if I should expect it to reappear under a different creditor's name....

Not only is it deleted from my CR, but it's deleted from Hubby's as well, and he didn't even dispute or have any contact with them.  I fought them every step of the way, maybe they got sick of me?

Not that I'm complaining or anything, but why would this just go away?  It's only been 4 years.....

Congrats on the deletion! As stated above, the account may still  be active with the CA. Make sure to continue to save on the side until the SOL is exceeded. I have also heard of CA deleting the debt from a CR during the dispute period. Either way, its great to have it off the report and if it comes back at a later time, cross that bridge when you get to it. 

Message 3 of 4
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

Congrats
"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.