cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Success!) Thinking of trying a new tactic with medical GW letters - thoughts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: (Success!) Thinking of trying a new tactic with medical GW letters - thoughts?

Thanks, Sunrise! 

@Anonymous wrote:
Iceinjuly. Could you share your gw letter you used to providers?

I sent this directly to the billing/finance manager of the provider(s). The 5 that were removed weren't due to fall off until 2019. I have 2 remaining through a different provider that are due to drop off in December of this year and July of next. As a note, I'm not sure how well this would work with small\private providers who have to go through more leg work with CAs. The one I had success with is a large provider that uses a computer system to report payments/deliquencies/statuses to the CA.

[Title in formal, their name/address to left, yours to right, date above saulatation]

Hello!

I’m writing today to request your consideration in removing several negative entries from my credit report.

[Give a brief explanation of why the bill ended up in collections. Financial hardship? Insurance billing error? Simple oversight?] I have since satisfied these obligations in full, as I truly appreciate the quality service I receive from [medical provider] and understand the importance of maintaining a proper payment record.

I have recently contacted the assigned collection agency, [agency name], to request the removal of these items. They were regretful that they could not offer goodwill in removing the entries. I have since learned that the Medical Debt Task Force guidelines developed by the HFMA require the agencies to submit entries to major credit reporting bureaus under the guidance and request of the original provider. I am contacting your office in the hopes that, perhaps, you could instruct [agency name] to remove the derogatory items.

As I’m sure you’re aware, a recent settlement case in New York State will soon come into effect and require credit reporting agencies to remove entries for paid medical collections. While I understand that this may be an unorthodox request, I’m hopeful you can empathize with the hardship these negative entries cause and instruct [agency name] to proactively remove them. [If you ended up in collections due to financial hardship, you can close with a note about requesting their assistance with moving forward. Or, you can just stop with the last sentence.]

Thank you for your time and consideration,
[Your name]

[Get this information from your credit report or the agency directly, and include it on a second page]
Accounts listed on my credit report through [agency name].

Account Number Original Amount Date Paid

11223344$79.5601/2010
55667788$33.1407/2012

SSN ending in 1111
DOB 01/01/1900

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: (Success!) Thinking of trying a new tactic with medical GW letters - thoughts?

Just an update. I did this and it worked for me. I added on additional step though and instead of mailing it to the provider, I made several phone calls first and rfequested an appointment with a supervisor in patient accounts. I hand delivered the letter and a copy of the HFMA-Medical Debt Task Force Report. I followed up using the same process with the CA and told them that I was working with the provider. Long story short, i first tried the normal DV letter, then PFD letter, followed with another follow up letter. After being told no by the CA, i started this process and it worked. It did take about three months from start to finish. My offer was to pay in full if they would remove from my report based on the HFMA-MDTFR. Honestly, it was a pleasant process and one thing I would point out is to work with these people...don't ignore phone calls or letters. Be honest, open and provide the facts. It worked for me. My Equifax score jumped up 38 points in about two days after they removed the derogatory marks. Best of luck to all of you.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had some luck with a GW letter to the OC. I explained to them there was a lapse in my medical coverage due to a glitch in COBRA and the HealthCare reform act but I had paid the bill in full as soon as I became aware of it. The OC recalled the acount from the CA and the TL was removed from all 3 CRA's.

Best of luck!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.