cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success!..... What Next???

tag
ready4theworld

Success!..... What Next???

I have been reading these forumss for a couple of years now, and I would like to thank everyone for providing such useful information and sharing your stories. I am one of those people that thought that I would NEVER be able to obtain any credit.

Long story short, when I first found this community my credit scores were in the 400's across the board mainly due to accepting every line of credit I was offered in college, with no understanding of the credit system or how to properly manage my finances. Once I graduated, I had also had a ton of student loans that went into default (about $60,000 worth.)Not to mention, that while I had a ton of fradulent entries to my credit report due to Identiy theft. 

I make decent money, but anytime I would apply for ANYTHING I either got a flat out denial, or when it came to things like cell phones, they wanted astronimical desposits. I learned to live solely off cash and carry.

After coming here I put a plan of action together. The first was to address the ID theft. I was able to get everything deleted after allot of time, patience, and consistency in dealing with the CRAs and CAs. Needless to say, that was no easy feat.

Feeling confident, I then started attacking my actual deliquencies and managed to get them to do "pay for deletes." After seeing a jump in my score (not a massive jump) I then decided to get on top of those student loans. I did a consolodation, and then asked the orginal serving companies if they would remove the entries on my report. Some did, some did not. However they will fall off in time so I just let that alone and got on the path of actually apllying for credit.

The first thing that I applied for was the BOA secured card. I only put $400 on it and after reading everyhting here about making multiple payments to keep down the utilization and show my ability to pay, I decided to take the leap and ask for an early graduation. To my surprise, I was graduated to an unsecured card with a $1000 limit.

But before getting that graduation, I used the "cart trick" for commentiy and got a couple of commenity cards. They started off with low limits of $250, but after paying on them and requesting increased they have collectively increased by about $1200. I haven't attempted to get them increased any further as I was just using them as positive trades.

After getting those increases, I applied for Capital one. They started me off in their Credit Builder Program with a $300 limit. After making my 5 payments the card automatically increased to $500. ***I'm wondering if I can ask for more considering every card I have has a higher limit than that? Any assistance on that matter would be greatly appreciated. I searched the forums, but could not find an answer. I also called customer service with a general inquiry and they told me that all cards that start off at $300 are automatically increased to $500 after 5 payments. I have never been late on this card or any of my others,and I ALWAYS make muliple payments because the limit on this card is so low. It has cash rewards so I use it all the time to collect them.

So after getting the Cap1 QS, I did accept an offer from First Premier. Initial limit $750. I have my cell phone on automatic bill pay on this card, and that is it. I understand that it isnt the most desirable card to have in my collection, but for now it is doing what I need it to do. Im not too concerned about the fees as the American Express card I want to eventually get has higher annual fees, and I feel like it is preparation.

The next thing I did was obtain a personal loan through my credit union. I was shocked that I was approved and at a very low interst rate.

After that I went looking for a vehicle just to see what was out there, and got suckered into actuallying applying. I didnt think I would be approved, but I was by three different financing companies. I didnt really like the interest rates however so I decided to decline and just wait. I have mupiple vehicles already, and they are all paid off. 

Feeling good, I applied for the Barclay's card and DUN DUN DUN... got the 7-10 days message. After recieving my denial letter, I called the backdoor number and spole with a very nice representative who was impressed by my journey of improvement. We talked about my past student loans. She saw that I had consolidated and was making regualr payments. She also saw that  I have never been late since I started re-building. However she stated that I would have to let those inquires age and she was sure that I would be approved if I apply again.

My last thing was to get the Walmart card . It was logical for me since I shop there ALL the time. They only approved for a $400 limit to start, but I am okay with that. I know that after my fourth payment, I can ask for an increase.

Since getting that card, I have been gardening.

I did all of this in a year's time. My scores have gone from the 400's to 620 TU and I am unsure of my others as I am waiting a bit longer before I pull my actual FICO scores.

I just wanted to say thank you all for contributing to this forum. Considering everything that I have stated above, I would like to know if there is anything that I am missing that I should do next?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Success!..... What Next???

Congrats and welcome to the forum

I love to see a success story and yours is inspiring 

When you reach your 4th statement with Walmart call the backdoor number and ask for 5K ....They will counter offer if they don't give you that and its a SP always 

Good luck and keep up the good work 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
MadTechnologist
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! I'm really glad to hear you're doing well and I wish you all the best. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 611 (02/28/2014 EQ MyFico) 608 (Barclays TU 03/28/14)
Current Score: 665 (05/13/16 EQ) 655 (05/13/16 TU) 672 (05/13/16 EX) Gardening since 04/30/2016
Goal Score: 740+ All Around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 4
ready4theworld

Thank you!!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.