cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success at removing collection accounts!

tag
eklausmeyer

Success at removing collection accounts!

Thought I would share my recent success removing collection accounts from my CBR!

Companies: EOS CCA (AT&T/Verizon Collectors) and Affiliated Collection (For me it was municipal parking ticket)

Both of these were unpaid collections. For both of them, I called up and said the following "look, these have been on my cbr for a while. If I pay them and you don't remove them, it's doesn't do me any good, so where's my motivation? If I pay you in full today, can you guarantee me that you will delete them from my cbr?" They both said yes, said they would submit for deletion on their next update cycle, provided full names, confirmation numbers, call back numbers, and offered to mail receipt and copy of deletion letter. They were remarkably easy to deal with, because I owed them money.

A 3rd collection company, whom I paid in full 5 years ago, was utterly unhelpful and said they have a "no deletion policy" (which you and I both know is hogwash). I will try and write a goodwill letter to them and dispute through the CBR's.

Moral of the story: with unpaid collections, you have the leverage. They want your money. You want the item removed. There is room to negotiate a satisfactory outcome for both parties. If you have already paid it, you are completely at their mercy. They have no motivation to take any action on your behalf, no matter how easy it is.

I will come back and post how many points I will (hopefully) gain when I get updated bureaus in a few weeks.

I work full time as a credit analyst for one of the largest credit card issuers in the U.S. But, I am also a consumer trying to build my own credit!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
mnosal9
Regular Contributor

Re: Success at removing collection accounts!

Congrats!!! damn why couldnt you post 2 months ago when i paid it lol  Smiley Happy GW GW GW thats all im doing now Smiley Wink

Starting: 6/2012 : EX: 485(FAKO) EQ: 490(FICO) Trans: 482(FAKO)
Current : 4/2014: EX: 650(FICO) EQ: 664 (FICO) Trans: 681 (FICO)

Cards: NPSL Amex Green (AU), $11500 Discover IT, $4000 Quicksilver One, $3500 Bank of America Travel Rewards,$3000 Amex BCE,$3000 Quicksilver One, $3000 AA, $2500 Sallie Mae MC, $5000 Citibank AA, $1500 Barclay, $1200 Macys
~Back to the Garden~

Goal Score: 700 Across!

Gardening til 8/2014!!
Message 2 of 3
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Re: Success at removing collection accounts!

Congrats!

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.