Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Success story

Just wanted to give everyone here a little encouragment.  I started working hardcore on my credit in April 2009 with the intent to buy my first home in September.  My starting average credit score was 592.  I just closed on my home in September 2009 -- a nice home, too -- with an average credit score of 672.  I am typing this from one of four bedrooms as I speak.

Working on my credit scores was half of it, true, but the other half was simply developing good financial habits and STICKING WITH IT.  I am financially better off than I have been any time in my adult life, and 100% of that of that is directly attributable to a) following the advice in these forums and b) applying everyday common sense.

Thanks, Fico forums. I tip my hat to you.  This time next year I hope to be in the 700 club!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Success story

+100.  Its great to hear stories like these.  Enjoy your new home and your soon to be 700 and beyond FICO score.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 8
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Congrats on raising your score and your new home. WTG....i love to read success posts!

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!  Hoping to be able to post the same message here soon!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a lot of great advice here.  I always find something helpful that I never knew about (business credit for one example).

I'm very happy for you.  There's no doubt you'll be well into the 700's (eq fico) possibly skirting 800 by the end of next year..

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Congrats!!! Smiley Happy  That is so inspiring! It's reading stories like this that keep me going.

Any specific advice/tips you could give to us newbies just starting on the journey?

Congrats again on your new house and your wonderful credit bump! 700 Club here you come!!!!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a ton of advice on this forum for the rebuilding credit side of things, and not a lot more that I can contribute that hasn't already been said.  I would reiterate to never give up, though, and that it's always ALWAYS worth a shot.

As far as the 'good personal financial habits' side of it, I think the two biggest things I learned to do were to a) pay myself first and to b) plan for the unplanned. 

A) I used to try and save money by promising myself I'd stick whatever was left over at the end of the month into a savings account, and every month I'd have nothing left over.  I switched to automatically transferring the money I earmarked for savings the day after my paycheck hit the bank, and like a 401K, it started adding up really quickly, and I never, ever missed it.  Suddenly instead of breaking even I was netting positive each month, and mysteriously living the same lifestyle.

B) It's much harder to get out of debt than it is to stay out of debt.  We all know it's better to avoid using credit cards excessively, but sometimes a financial emergency comes up.  On the advice of a friend, I opened a savings account at a separate bank (to make it deliberately hard for me to get at right away) for "emergency" funds...the stuff I used to throw on a card because I had no other option.  The unexpected heating bill, the car repair bill, the unexpected veterinary bill, etc. I can still pay them, but now I have the cash in the bank to pay for them right away, thus avoiding the whole credit card debt thing.  You may not be able to know exactly what surprise bills will pop into existence, but you can sure as heck plan for the "generic" unplanned!  This one trick kept me ahead of the game and I've taught it to everyone who will listen to me.

Message 7 of 8
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a ton of advice on this forum for the rebuilding credit side of things, and not a lot more that I can contribute that hasn't already been said.  I would reiterate to never give up, though, and that it's always ALWAYS worth a shot.

As far as the 'good personal financial habits' side of it, I think the two biggest things I learned to do were to a) pay myself first and to b) plan for the unplanned. 

A) I used to try and save money by promising myself I'd stick whatever was left over at the end of the month into a savings account, and every month I'd have nothing left over.  I switched to automatically transferring the money I earmarked for savings the day after my paycheck hit the bank, and like a 401K, it started adding up really quickly, and I never, ever missed it.  Suddenly instead of breaking even I was netting positive each month, and mysteriously living the same lifestyle.

B) It's much harder to get out of debt than it is to stay out of debt.  We all know it's better to avoid using credit cards excessively, but sometimes a financial emergency comes up.  On the advice of a friend, I opened a savings account at a separate bank (to make it deliberately hard for me to get at right away) for "emergency" funds...the stuff I used to throw on a card because I had no other option.  The unexpected heating bill, the car repair bill, the unexpected veterinary bill, etc. I can still pay them, but now I have the cash in the bank to pay for them right away, thus avoiding the whole credit card debt thing.  You may not be able to know exactly what surprise bills will pop into existence, but you can sure as heck plan for the "generic" unplanned!  This one trick kept me ahead of the game and I've taught it to everyone who will listen to me.

Your (B) section is a little funny to me because I did the same exact thing. My main bank account is at Chase bank and that account has more daily traffic than Grand Central Station. I tried to open a secondary checking account at Chase and keep it completely separate and invisible but that didn't work out as well as I hoped.

So eventually I opened up a checking and savings account at a different bank (Citibank) to make it deliberately hard for me to get at and 98% of the time that account only gets one-way traffic -- funds go IN but they don't come OUT. Every bit of extra money I make gets electronically transferred into my Citibank Savings account right away. And that strategy paid off big time because when an unexpected family emergency came up requiring me to book a last minute, expensive as hell flight down to Florida, I had more than enough money in my Citibank account to cover it.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.