Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success with a dispute - question!

tag
hallas
Valued Member

Success with a dispute - question!

I disputed several accounts that were showing up negative from when my student loans were being sold to/transferred to another bank during the banking crisis. Equifax agreed with my dispute and removed them from "Negative Collections" and my score jumped over 20 points. Fantastic! I am just wondering if the Experian and TransUnion will do the same, or if I have to dispute them with those two credit reporting agencies, as well. I have Equifax Complete Advantage at the moment and am disputing a few more things on my report  and I just want to make sure I do not have to do a separate dispute with each agency. Thanks!

NCFU cashRewards Visa Signature ($15K) | NCFU CLOC ($10K) | Merrill + Platinum Plus Signature Visa ($12K) | Amex Everyday Preferred ($8K) | Discover IT ($6k) | SallieMae World MasterCard ($5K) | Wells Fargo Platinum Visa ($3K) | Wells Fargo College Cash Back ($800) | BankAmericard for College Students ($1.5K) | American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($1K) | PayPal Extras MC ($2.5K) | Kay Jewelers ($4K) | Capital One QS ($1.3k) | Capital One QS1 ($1.3K) | SECU Visa ($1K) | CareCredit ($2K) | WalMart Store Card ($1.2K) | Amazon Store Card ($2K) | Macy's ($1.3K) | Barclaycard Rewards ($3K) | Target Red ($500) | Bill Me Later ($500)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Success with a dispute - question!

You have to do the same with the other CRAs.

However, I would go directly to the lender and not the CRA.

Message 2 of 7
hallas
Valued Member

Only TransUnion is still showing these accounts in negative standing, I just disputed with them. Any reason why I should go directly to the lender?

NCFU cashRewards Visa Signature ($15K) | NCFU CLOC ($10K) | Merrill + Platinum Plus Signature Visa ($12K) | Amex Everyday Preferred ($8K) | Discover IT ($6k) | SallieMae World MasterCard ($5K) | Wells Fargo Platinum Visa ($3K) | Wells Fargo College Cash Back ($800) | BankAmericard for College Students ($1.5K) | American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($1K) | PayPal Extras MC ($2.5K) | Kay Jewelers ($4K) | Capital One QS ($1.3k) | Capital One QS1 ($1.3K) | SECU Visa ($1K) | CareCredit ($2K) | WalMart Store Card ($1.2K) | Amazon Store Card ($2K) | Macy's ($1.3K) | Barclaycard Rewards ($3K) | Target Red ($500) | Bill Me Later ($500)
Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Because they are the ones reporting the incorrect information.  Going directly to them with the dispute you know they are getting any documents you may need to enclose and your direct dispute covers everything that is reporting incorrectly.

By going through the CRAs who use an electronic dispute system, nothing but a code is sent to the creditor for their verification.  No documents, even if you send them in, would be sent.

Message 4 of 7
hallas
Valued Member

Okay. Will definitely do that in the next week. Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It depends upon what the creditor actuall determined in their investigation of the dispute.

Did the creditor actually determine in their investigation that their reporting was inaccurate, and thus deleted with the CRA through which the dispute was filed, or did the creditor simply fail to respond to the CRA, which then required the CRA to delete based on lack of verfiication?

If a furnisher determines that any reporting is required to address the dispute, which could be either update of the disputed information or its deletion, it is not sufficient for them to report that result to only the CRA handling the dispute.  They are required to report that result to ALL CRAs to which they have also reported the disputed information.

The CRAs are not responsible for notification of results to other CRAs, but the furnisher is.

If that is the case, you would not have to file an additional dispute with the furnisher or with the other CRAs.  Just call the furnisher and remind them of their statutory obligation to report their results to all CRAs.

Message 6 of 7
hallas
Valued Member

Well, since the only other CRA that failed to update (yet) was TransUnion, then I am assuming it is across the board. I went ahead and put it a dispute with TransUnion but I am going to talk to the creditor. The issue is this: 

During the banking crisis, my student loans were being bought and transferred to different companies. Even though I was still in school (in deferment), it showed up as late (120 days) before it went back in the green when it (the loans) officially found its new home (for lack of better words). I disputed ALL 11 and they all came back in the clear. Equifax and Experian are both showing clear now, but TransUnion isn't. I will contact the creditor, but I am still new at this and have no idea why I should and what I should say. Anywho, thanks for the advice. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.