cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success with removing paid state tax liens?

tag
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

Success with removing paid state tax liens?

I have 3 tax liens on my Ex, 2 on TU and 1 on EQ...all of them show released/paid. I called today and all 3 bureaus advised me that the liens will not be removed until 7 years after the lien was marked released. All but one of them are from Maryland. One is from Georgia.

When I asked TU for the estimated date of deletion, it was no where near 7 years. It was a random date for both of them. One was like 4 years from date released and the other was like 5. When I inquired as to the difference in dates, the rep just kept repeating the same stuff and asked me did I want to dispute it. The earliest date of deletion is 2017 and some of them go to 2020.

Having said all of that, can anyone speak to the impact that these liens have on my CR? They are almost my only negatives (minus a 3 year paid collection reporting only on EQ). From my research it seems that it's hit or miss with getting the liens removed earlier because the state that filed them, has to remove them from their database.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for typos. Iphone
Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Scores: EQ 687, TU 709, EX 692
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Success with removing paid state tax liens?

Maryland is a state that allows for the withdrawl of a tax lien once its been paid this is what has to happen for them to be removed from your CR. GA doesnt have any procedure for it. Contact the reporting entity directly and ask for a withdrawl based on it having been paid.

Message 2 of 7
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

Thank you. I will call on Monday and report back with my findings.
Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Message 3 of 7
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

I had a MD state tax lien from 2010 removed last year.  It may depend on the reason for the lien....I did not file state taxes in 2012, the state of MD filed a substitute return and then filed the lien when I didn't pay what they said I owed. My steps to have it released and removed were a real pain. First, I refiled the 2012 myself; had to send copies to the collection office as well. Then I paid the adjusted amount of 600 ($400 was interest). After that I fought to have it updated as paid (this took a few months). I wrote goodwill letter after goodwill letter to the Comptroller (on the Taxation website) and I received a call a few days after the 3rd or 4th e-mail message. I was assured that the lien would be removed within 48 hours. Good news, it was removed from all but TU, they took a few more weeks. 

Contact the State Comptroller of MD and his assistant should get back with you in a timely manner. Best wishes. Patience is key.

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 7
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the response. I'll start trying this first thing Monday am.

Message 5 of 7
onefifty
Established Member

I was able to just dispute a state tax lien and a federal tax lien and had them both removed at different times. I was able to get the state lien removed first and seen no gain,but once the federal tax lien was deleted , I recieved a 23 pt increase, I swore it would be more. Im not sure really if the state lien factors in as much as the federal lien did. Probably in the eyes of a potential lender, it could then be an issue if it was paid or not.
Message 6 of 7
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

I've disputed them multiple times with no success.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.