Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful Credit Karma Deletion with Direct Dispute

tag
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

Successful Credit Karma Deletion with Direct Dispute

I wanted to let yall know that I received a successful TU deletion with CK Direct Dispute today. It took 5 days to complete. I asked for my old past due $3,200 Chase account to be removed.  Midland was the collection acct that was associated with this OC, Chase and recently deleted as well, it was scheduled to fall of my reports this summer. 

Type Description Additional Information

AccuracyThis account is too old to be on file. Please remove it.N/A

TransUnion received your request on Mar 19, 2016 and completed their investigation on Mar 23, 2016. Please review the results carefully.

Result: Deleted - TransUnion has deleted the account or record from your TransUnion credit report.

Resulting in a +34 point positive increase on my FICO score.  Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Successful Credit Karma Deletion with Direct Dispute

Way to go!  I deactivated my account with Credit Karma almost 6 months ago and tried to reactivate yesterday, but I have to wait a few more days.  There are a couple of items I would like to dispute by going through CK.  Not sure if it makes a difference when using their site, but I will try as soon as I gain my access back.

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Credit Karma does not file a direct dispute.

Direct disputes are a separate type of dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8) where the consumer files the dispute directly with the furnisher, bypassing any involvment of the CRA.

They are only acting as an intermediary in filing a normal dispute with the CRAs.  The consumer can do it themselves and have the resutls send directly to them.

Third parties are barred from assisting consumers in the preparation or filing of direct disputes.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand. When filing a dispute with CK where does it go to the CRA or OC/CA?

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It goes to the CRA.  As stated in their letter to you, they are reporting to you the results from the CRA.

The FCRA explicitly prohibits third party credit repair organizations from assisting consumers in the preparation or filing of direct disputes.

They cannot file a direct dispute on your behalf directly with a creditor or debt collector.  See FCRA 623(a)(8)(G) and 16 CFR 660.4

They are implying something that they cannot do.

Message 5 of 7
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

Then how did it get deleted?

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Either the CRA deleted as a finding of their reinvestigation, or the furnisher deleted after receving referral from the CRA, just as can be the outcome of any dispute via a CRA.

The point is not that it was not a valid dispute, but rather that is was not a direct dispute.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.