Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful PFD updated incorrectly on EQ

tag
SammyChance
Established Member

Successful PFD updated incorrectly on EQ

I negotiated a sucessful PFD that updated as PAID on Equifax.  Both Experian and Transunion deleted.  The collection agency advised me to dispute on EQ to remove it more quickly.  Has anyone had experience with this?  Will disputing tank my score?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Successful PFD updated incorrectly on EQ

I've had the same experience.  Deleted from TU and EX.  EQ just seems to take forever to do anything.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Their request that you dispute is pure hogwash.  If they admit the need to update, they have the obligation to do so.

The party who reports any information to a CRA has the duty, under FCRA 623(a)(2) to, at their own initiative and responsibilty, provide timely update of that reported information so as to maintain its accuracy.  It is not the consumer's responsibility.

If they agreed to a change in reporting, they have the obligation to timely report it.

That is particularly important when the reporting relates to a deletion of the previously reported information.

It is clear CRA policy that deletion based on payment of the debt is NOT a basis for CR deletion.  When a party reports an update to a CRA, they do not have to provide a reason, and thus that CRA policy never becomes an issue when the reporting comes from the furnisher.

Aside from abrogating their legal obligation to update themselves, asking the consumer to dispute their own reporting requires the consumer to provide a reason to the CRA.

With the reason being deletion based upon a PFD agreement, that places the issue of appropriateness of the deletion clearly on record with the CRA.  They would thus have every reason and right to decline. 

By filing a dispute, the CRA will also place a pending dispute flag on your credit report, thus removing certain aspects of your report from FICO scoring until the flag is lifted.

So, yes, you are negatively impacted by filing the dispute... your score become pretty much useless until the dispute is resolved and the flag lifted.

Message 3 of 9
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Their request that you dispute is pure hogwash.  If they admit the need to update, they have the obligation to do so.

The party who reports any information to a CRA has the duty, under FCRA 623(a)(2) to, at their own initiative and responsibilty, provide timely update of that reported information so as to maintain its accuracy.  It is not the consumer's responsibility.

If they agreed to a change in reporting, they have the obligation to timely report it.

That is particularly important when the reporting relates to a deletion of the previously reported information.

It is clear CRA policy that deletion based on payment of the debt is NOT a basis for CR deletion.  When a party reports an update to a CRA, they do not have to provide a reason, and thus that CRA policy never becomes an issue when the reporting comes from the furnisher.

Aside from abrogating their legal obligation to update themselves, asking the consumer to dispute their own reporting requires the consumer to provide a reason to the CRA.

With the reason being deletion based upon a PFD agreement, that places the issue of appropriateness of the deletion clearly on record with the CRA.  They would thus have every reason and right to decline. 

By filing a dispute, the CRA will also place a pending dispute flag on your credit report, thus removing certain aspects of your report from FICO scoring until the flag is lifted.

So, yes, you are negatively impacted by filing the dispute... your score become pretty much useless until the dispute is resolved and the flag lifted.

I'm amazed at how often you're able to peel back the layers on some of these issues.  From the surface, in my head, I'm thinking 'Well yeah that seems easy, a PITA, but it must just be easier for the CA to delete that way'.  Never once would I have thought of the reason for deletion becoming an issue.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

this exact thing happened to me.  Was it an EOS CCA acct? also did you have dispute comments on that acct?  In my case the ca put dispute comments when they first reported which was inaccurate.  I called today to have them removed and was told that would take up to 30 days Smiley Frustrated  then I asked about the delete request from the ca and the person I spoke to asked me for my email address.  Then she said I would recieve an email in a couple of weeks about the deletion.......

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have heard that EQ takes forever

Message 6 of 9
SammyChance
Established Member

This collection was for unpaid tuition resulting from an uncollected TAP grant that was disbursed to me.  When I contacted the school, they agreed that there had been an oversight, but since I owed the money, I paid them and they instructed the CA to remove it from my CR.  Perhaps not technically a PFD, but similar rewards.  I will definitely contact the CA again, and ask that they resolve it with the CRA rather than filing a dispute.  Actually, both the school and the CA have been very accomodating and more than civil, surprisingly.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Message 7 of 9
SammyChance
Established Member

@ vabound...this was not an EOS account and there were no dispute comments.  All involved told me, repeatedly, that it could take 30 days to update.  My concern was that it had updated three days after payment, but incorrectly.  Having difficulty relying on their information.  Has yours been reported correctly, or are you still waiting? 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SammyChance wrote:

@ vabound...this was not an EOS account and there were no dispute comments.  All involved told me, repeatedly, that it could take 30 days to update.  My concern was that it had updated three days after payment, but incorrectly.  Having difficulty relying on their information.  Has yours been reported correctly, or are you still waiting?

My situation is similar...?i paid eoscca and then filed a complaint with BBB.  They sent me a letter stating they would delete from all three cb's.  Trans and ex deleted within three days and EQupdated to paid with $0 bal.  I noticed there were dispute comments placed by the ca so I called yesterday to have those removed and was told that it would take up to 30 days.  Today I received an email stating that EQ opened a dispute to dispute the dispute comments!!! Hilarious.......anyway, I asked if they received the deletion notice from the ca and I was told not yet but it should come in a few days.  After that it will be deleted.  I will call everyday until they get it right. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.