Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Such a hard blow today

tag
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

Such a hard blow today

My husband and I are getting ready to celebrate 1 year in our first home next month. I have paid our mortgage faithfully every month through the mortgage company's website, never had a problem. I ususally make payments from my office computer. I always printed the confirmation page, just to be sure to have record. Last month, I made our payment online, just like always, but from my home computer, where our printer was out of ink, so I did not print the page as I usually do. Then I went on with my life, and didn't give it a second thought.

I got a letter in the mail Friday that the payment for February had never been made. I checked my bank, and sure enough, it was never pulled. Their website didn't have any record of the payment either. I called the mortgage company, and they had no record of the attempt.

I feel so helpless. Now, because I was out of ink in my home printer, I have no record that I tried to make the payment. Yes, true, I could have checked my account to see that the payment hadn't come out, but I had no reason to believe it hadn't. I've been making my payments this way for a year now. Now I've incurred late fees, and my credit was dropped 104 points!! 104!! I could cry right now. They won't work with me at all. I've never had a late payment, never anything like this at all, and the first time it happens, I get no help. I know I did the right thing, but I can't prove it. And now, I'll have to spend the next year or more trying to put myself back where I was credit-wise. I was hoping to buy a new car this summer, but now my credit is crap and I'll never get a good rate.

I don't know what to do. I guess all I can do is just take it.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

Re: Such a hard blow today

Go up the ladder until you get someone to help. Write letters, dispute, anything you can do. It's worth a try for 100 points. What bank is it?

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, when you  made the payment, was it over 30 days late at that point? Often a late pay won't get reported until it hits 30 or more.  If I were you, I would make every goodwill attempt possible.  Cal and / or write letters to everyone you can within that instituation and explain what happened and beg them to remove the late pay from your credit.  Tell them your whole story, be honest, be nice, and hopefully you will get it removed.  

I am so terrified of something like this happening, especially since I have just begun to rebuild. I go way overboard with verification. I verify with my bank and with the company's website that my payment has gone through, and I always make sceen shots of all payment confirmations.   Last December I was sick and just totally forgot my car payment on the 11th.  They called me at home on Sat the 12th and , as soon as I saw their name on my caller ID, I knew why they were calling. I even answered the phone with "Oh my gosh, I forgot to make my payment yesterday!".   Who knows when I would have remembered if they had not called.  

I'm really sorry, I can't imagine losing that much of my score after working so hard to get the numbers up.  

Message 3 of 24
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

I'm not sure what bank, but the company is Amerihome mortgage.

Message 4 of 24
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

I have a huge spreadsheet that I mark payments on and mark it when I see it come out of my account. If I don't see it come out of my account within 3 days, I'm hunting it down. Also, I never wait until the due date to pay. You never know what can happen and if the system is acting weird that day, you have nothing to fall back on.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 5 of 24
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

That's also what's frustrating, I'm not that late. Today, I paid the past due February payment, and this month's payment, but they've got me marked 60 days late. I guess they only have the broad scale of what's beyond 30 days, but it's still aggravating. It makes me feel like they think I'm a total dead beat when I didn't do anything wrong.

Message 6 of 24
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

I'm usually really good about these things. This go around, my husband specifically asked me not to look at the bank account, so I wouldn't see the charge he made for my Valentine's day gift. Beyond there, I just went about living my life, assuming all was well. Guess what they say about assumptions is true - it sure made an ass out of me.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn't help you now but in the future if you run out of ink it could help.  If you use Chrome as a browser when you go to print you can choose to save it as a PDF instead of printing.  The cloud printing is spotty on my Chromebook so I do this often with things I need to keep records on.  

Sorry,  this happened to you.  I had a similar experience with a furniture store account.  We moved away and had to pay online but several times their online payment system didn't work properly and I ended up with lates because of it.  

Message 8 of 24
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

I'm wondering if I can go back when I get home and look at my browser history, see if I can find proof that I was on their site. Maybe that would help my case?

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marathonmama24 wrote:

I'm wondering if I can go back when I get home and look at my browser history, see if I can find proof that I was on their site. Maybe that would help my case?

Wouldn't hurt, your browser cache may have even saved the page.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.