Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sucking up my pride, need a little help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sucking up my pride, need a little help

Hi everyone, 

So after months of lurking, and alittle over a week of purchasing the myFICO monitoring and joining tthe forums, I'm going to take a huge leap of faith here and see if anyone can help me come up with a game plan for raising my credit scores.

I'm getting real discouraged because I'm not qualifying CLIs despite making prompt and good payments on my cards (CreditOne, Comenity VS + Express, Amazon/Synchronity), as well as several student loan accounts. I am in need of a new car soon and have been building up a substantial down payment, but I'm getting worried that despite my FICO score looking "okay" I'm going to get rejected or have crazy high rates. It doesn't feel like making timely payments is good enough, and I'd love to see some of the double-digit score increases so many of you are achieving. I want so bad to have a clean sheet on my credit report, because I've really spent the last 9 months making a conscious effort to be financially responsible. I'm fed up with not being able to get prime rates, or worrying over loan/credit card approvals.

So, dear forum-mates, now that I've bared my soul to you, what's the best action (and order of action) for getting these collections cleaned up? 

1. I have a 30 and 60 day late payment on one student loan (via ECSI) from September and October. I know these are hurting me big time. Long story short, I moved this summer and I was only receiving one statement for them for a different loan, that I was making payments on  -  as a result the secondary account went late until I finally called them and tried to figure out why they were saying I wasn't paying when I was under the impression I was good. Since then, I've set up e-bill and automatic payments. I also disputed the lates, since I never received notice on these until after they'd already been reported (still waiting on the results). In speaking with ECSI, they said I would need to rehab the loan with my school - but the account is still open. Is this a thing? Should I ask for a GW from my alma mater?

2. Collection with Conserve from Jan 2014 for unpaid account (approx $800). Have not yet disputed or requested PFD. Which is the first step on this? Can I address the other baddies first? I've been sitting on this because a pay in full cuts into that money I've put aside for a new vehicle.

3. Collection with EOS-CCA for a parking ticket, Feb 2014. $150. Recently disputed since I do not believe the total matched the original debt and waiting on the results. If it's validated, do I PFD?

4. Collection with Credit Collection Service - old progressive bill that went unpaid out of whatever spite I was feeling when I switched car insurance. $100. DV sent, assuming PFD will be best option?

5. 2 closed collection accounts from 2012 - $100/$150 respectively. Debt has been validated. Since they are closed, are they still severely impacting me? 

6. One $50 Unique Nat'l for a library book in 2009. (Really, butanz... I could strangle old me). Set to fall off next summer. Is it even worth addressing?

Sorry it's a long one. TL;DR I'm an idiot. You can even tell me I'm an idiot... I'd love it if you guys can help me figure out the proper order to get this cleaned up.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sucking up my pride, need a little help

My speculation is that they are antsy about the risk of default based on having four collectins in approx the last two years.

Granting higher credit limits involves an increased risk to the creditor, as what may be defaulted on can be higher.

Nine months of timely payments may not be sufficient to allay their concerns.

You can, in the interim, obtain the same benefits as those obtained by a CLI, by keeping your % util at best scoring levels.

That, of course, provides less spending flexibility in the interim, but you can still obtain the same scoring of % util without a CLI.

Message 2 of 10
cabner
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone, 

So after months of lurking, and alittle over a week of purchasing the myFICO monitoring and joining tthe forums, I'm going to take a huge leap of faith here and see if anyone can help me come up with a game plan for raising my credit scores.

I'm getting real discouraged because I'm not qualifying CLIs despite making prompt and good payments on my cards (CreditOne, Comenity VS + Express, Amazon/Synchronity), as well as several student loan accounts. I am in need of a new car soon and have been building up a substantial down payment, but I'm getting worried that despite my FICO score looking "okay" I'm going to get rejected or have crazy high rates. It doesn't feel like making timely payments is good enough, and I'd love to see some of the double-digit score increases so many of you are achieving. I want so bad to have a clean sheet on my credit report, because I've really spent the last 9 months making a conscious effort to be financially responsible. I'm fed up with not being able to get prime rates, or worrying over loan/credit card approvals.

So, dear forum-mates, now that I've bared my soul to you, what's the best action (and order of action) for getting these collections cleaned up? 

1. I have a 30 and 60 day late payment on one student loan (via ECSI) from September and October. I know these are hurting me big time. Long story short, I moved this summer and I was only receiving one statement for them for a different loan, that I was making payments on  -  as a result the secondary account went late until I finally called them and tried to figure out why they were saying I wasn't paying when I was under the impression I was good. Since then, I've set up e-bill and automatic payments. I also disputed the lates, since I never received notice on these until after they'd already been reported (still waiting on the results). In speaking with ECSI, they said I would need to rehab the loan with my school - but the account is still open. Is this a thing? Should I ask for a GW from my alma mater?

2. Collection with Conserve from Jan 2014 for unpaid account (approx $800). Have not yet disputed or requested PFD. Which is the first step on this? Can I address the other baddies first? I've been sitting on this because a pay in full cuts into that money I've put aside for a new vehicle.

3. Collection with EOS-CCA for a parking ticket, Feb 2014. $150. Recently disputed since I do not believe the total matched the original debt and waiting on the results. If it's validated, do I PFD?

4. Collection with Credit Collection Service - old progressive bill that went unpaid out of whatever spite I was feeling when I switched car insurance. $100. DV sent, assuming PFD will be best option?

5. 2 closed collection accounts from 2012 - $100/$150 respectively. Debt has been validated. Since they are closed, are they still severely impacting me? 

6. One $50 Unique Nat'l for a library book in 2009. (Really, butanz... I could strangle old me). Set to fall off next summer. Is it even worth addressing? I had one of these on my report a long time ago, for 20 something dollars.  Wasn't even sure what it was, as we rarely went to the library and returned on time.  Anyhow, it was small enough I didn't care.  I paid, and they deleted.   So you might just send them a PFD letter to get it off your CR.

Sorry it's a long one. TL;DR I'm an idiot. You can even tell me I'm an idiot... I'd love it if you guys can help me figure out the proper order to get this cleaned up.

Starting Scores 12/28/2014: TU: 599 EX: 599 EQ: 568

Current Scores: TU: 675 EX: 664 EQ: 620
Message 3 of 10
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone, 

1. I have a 30 and 60 day late payment on one student loan (via ECSI) from September and October. I know these are hurting me big time. Long story short, I moved this summer and I was only receiving one statement for them for a different loan, that I was making payments on  -  as a result the secondary account went late until I finally called them and tried to figure out why they were saying I wasn't paying when I was under the impression I was good. Since then, I've set up e-bill and automatic payments. I also disputed the lates, since I never received notice on these until after they'd already been reported (still waiting on the results). In speaking with ECSI, they said I would need to rehab the loan with my school - but the account is still open. Is this a thing? Should I ask for a GW from my alma mater? A bit confused, have you made the payments that would then bring you current?  You only rehab a loan after default.  Is this a federal student loan, a private one, or one that your financial institution gave you outside the main SL systems?  If it is the first or the second, your alma mater has nothing to do with it.  I beleive the CSR you spoke to may not know what he is talking about.  Only the lender can GW away lates.

This is so recent only a PIF PFD will get rid of this one.  Look, if you DON'T pay this and it is on your CR, the increase in interest rate in a car loan will cost you more than the lack of the $800 in a down payment.  Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

I have never dealt with these folks, but have see plenty of posts dealing with them.  Suggest you do a search and see what worked for others (if anything). 

@Anonymous has been years since I dealt with these idiots (both of them).  In my time, they refused PFD so I refused to pay.  Eventually it aged off.  I don't know that they have changed their behavior since.  You may try emailing Executive Office @ Progressive for a GW.

5. 2 closed collection accounts from 2012 - $100/$150 respectively. Debt has been validated. Since they are closed, are they still severely impacting me? ALL CA accts are supposed to be "closed".  A balance indicates that it hasn't been paid....as well as the absence of a "paid collection" in the status field indicates the debt is still owed.  Current FICO scoring models rate paid and unpaid accounts the same.  It hurts much less after 2 years, to the pain on these is almost over....if you pay these without a PFD, they will "renew" in current scoring models and tank your score!  It is never a good thing to pay small collections after 2 years.  When FICO rolls out FICO 10, this will change....but then you have to wait until creditors start using the new model.

6. One $50 Unique Nat'l for a library book in 2009. (Really, butanz... I could strangle old me). Set to fall off next summer. Is it even worth addressing? This is so old, I would first dispute it with the CRAs, it may just delete on it's own.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

#6. I had a collection with them, sent them a PFD, they accepted right away in which I paid it and it was removed right away.

Message 5 of 10
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I've read a few posts about Credit Collection Service accepting PFDs. I also have a collection with them showing just on my transunion report for $95. I paid my last insurance bill (or so I thought), and cancelled. Then they billed me for another month they said they had "covered" me. My wife threw the bill away thinking it was just a solicitation since we had moved on to Allstate :-@
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 6 of 10
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I haven't called or offered a PFDS yet. Although it is kind of recent, from 2014 so would probably help me. I think I'll call next week.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know its been a few days here,  but I wanted to thank you all very much for your advice - especially Momof5.

For the late payments issue, I wrote a GW letter via email to the director of financial services at my alma mater, since they are listed as the account owner. For good measure, I also requested a PFD with them to pull the collection on the 800$ debt as they were the initial creditor. After really hunting through the forums it seems like a lot of posters have good luck in dealing with their schools directly for collections, so fingers crossed we make progress here! If not a PFD to the CA will come next. 

I've called EOS-CCA and they refused to PFD, only offered to update as paid in full. I said no thanks, I already requested the DV as the information being reported appears incorrect and I have not received any confirmation or validation of this debt, and I made sure to repeat that. Disappointing. I guess we will wait on the results of the dispute I already have out there. I swear to god if they re-age it based on the call I will raise hell Smiley Mad

The ones dated 2012 I'm leaving alone for now, and debating how to approach CCS since it seems like they're a stubborn bunch - I've got a dispute out for this that should wrap up by next week anyways.

I've read just about every post on Unique National, and called them today - apparently they do not collect money for my library so I'd need to reach out to them directly. With the bad luck on EOS, and this one being so old, I'm still a little nervous to dispute or even talk to the library because I'd hate for this to re-age when I should fall off next summer. This will probably be the last thing I touch.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 2 cents, stop worrying about being shot down for loan at dealership and go to your local credit union. Talk to banker/loan ofc. Explain and know that with a nice enough down pymnt, they will run your credit and tell you what they would lend you. Then start shopping. I was in a similar situation 2 yrs ago. with 20% down CU financed in mid teens. I paid on time for a year while clearing up baddies then refied the car with CapOne for 3.5%.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I bought my truck, my score was 583.  Went to the dealership (although got too many inquiries from this, however).  Originally got the loan for 8.9 %, but the bank that did the original loan, offered to refinance it for 3.9% if I opened an account, so I did.  I've never had much luck with credit unions myself, but I say do whatever works. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.