Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sued in another state past SOL

tag
mbauza86
Contributor

Sued in another state past SOL

Kay Jewelers is suing me in another state and I'm not sure how to proceed. Any advise is much appreciated.  Below is the breakdown of what happened.

2006 left parents home in FL and moved to NY.

2008 I opened a Kay Jewelers account in NY. 

2009 I defaulted in NY for about $1600. 

2012 I moved from NY to DC and Kay Jewelers coudn't find me.

2013 (Sept 30)  Kay filed a law suit and they tried to serve papers to my mother's house on 10/9. Somehow they think I'm in Florida. Though I've never lived in Florida ever since I left in 2006. 

Now the SOL for NY is 6 years, FL is 6 years and DC is 3 years. I would think since I live in DC that they can't sue me in FL and it's pass 3 years.  Is this possible? What should I do? I can't go to court in Florida. I was able to find the case number but I can't view any of the documents. Do I send a letter to Kay?  I just don't want to ignore it and then have a judgement.

Any help is much appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Sued in another state past SOL

Me personally I would seek legal advise from a consumer attorney.

Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

There is a gray area in there, as advised by daBears, you might need to seek legal advice on this one.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You said they "tried" service. I don't know NY law, but you'd want to find out if they actually handed the papers, left them at the door, etc. Use that info in a discussion with an attorney. If there was proper service, you'd want to work with an attorney/paralegal to have the venue changed. You'd also want to work with them in reviewing DC law to see if DC allowed out-of-state SOL to be tolled within the District.

They are allowed to sue past SOL, but you'd use SOL as a defense in court.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Are you beog sued directly by the OC, or via a debt collector?

If by a debt collector, the FDCPA provides specific authority to bring legal action in either the jurisdiction where the contract creating the debt was signed, or in the current jurisdiciton of residency of the consumer.

The relevant SOL at trial would be that of the jurisdiction of the trial court, so the issue appears to be where they have legitimate venue to bring legal action.

The issue of expiration of SOL needs to then be raised with and determined by that court.

If the court, wherever it may be, has accepted the case and notice has been served, you definately need to address the issue of jurisdiction with that court.

I would absolutely consult an attorney.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.