Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions on getting a gym membership removed from collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggestions on getting a gym membership removed from collections

So I use to train at a Jiu Jitsu Academy for 5 years and was always in good standings. Every year they would let me put the membership on hold to coach wrestling usually from Nov-April. Back in February I left the academy and switch to a new one for several reasons. Just a few, instructor would bring his dog to the academy and allow it to run all over the mats. He claimed it was a service dog which was total bull**bleep**. Then he would teach class at night and in the middle of class leave to go to another academy and teach so there would be no instructor. Now my account was still on hold until April. So I told the instructor I was leaving and he said ok.  

Now I just applied for a new mortgage and $1060.00 showed up from the academy in collections. I called the collection agency and the academy reported it back in February when I told them I wasn't coming back even though it was still on hold until April. CA said I was under contract until September. I asked them for a sign contract and they said they would send one but that was over a month ago. My guess is they don't have one.

Another thing the academy never send me any bills and no notice it was sent to collections. The only way I knew it was on there was when I applied. 

How should I proceed?????

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Suggestions on getting a gym membership removed from collections

When did the debt collector send dunning notice?

That will determine whether any request for debt validation is or will be timely.

Under the federal FDCPA, the DV process only imposes a cease collection bar if the DV is timely.

It does not impose any requirement to send validation.

Some states have enhanced DV statutes/regs, which may impose either a requirement to send validation, and/or a requirment to provide supporting documentation, such as a contract with the OC.

What is your state of residence?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Suggestions on getting a gym membership removed from collections

I never got any notice for debt collector. The only way I knew I had those debt was once I applied for a mortgage
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.