Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summons and collections best plan of action

tag
Creditrecipe
New Contributor

Summons and collections best plan of action

I understand that I should have paid these accounts before it escalated to this.

I was served court documents from the attorneys at Bonneville collections and Express Recovery. Bonneville said they will lower the asking amount down by $100 and Express $50 if I pay the full amount (filing fees, outstand balance, attorney costs etc..). Neither company will do a pay for delete as it is at their law firm. Should I pay $1 higher that what they are requesting so I can get it off of my credit later or what options do I have at the point in time?

Also, I have an outstanding Comcast bill as well but SW Credit Systems said that they do not offer any sort of PFD. Should I pay it and dispute it later on?

Please help!!

5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Summons and collections best plan of action

They have made a settlement offer.

If you meet or exceed their terms, you then have a valid contract offer which, once you make the actual payment, becomes a valid contract that discharges the debt.

Paying $1 more than their offer is simply a contract acceptance at better terms than they offered.  It will not provide any basis for future agreement on their part to delete their reported collection.

Your option at this point is to make a counter-off at whatever amount you wish that includes the explicit agreement to delete their reported collection as part of the payment contract.  Are you only willing to settle if they agree to deletion?  If so, it must be in the contract agreement.

Paying discharges the debt.

Once paid, there will no longer be a reported debt upon which to base a dispute of its accuracy.

Message 2 of 6
Creditrecipe
New Contributor

So as far as court summons goes, I am willing to pay the amount that they are requesting but am trying to figure out how to do it so it does not report to my credit. 

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

By "it" not reporting, do you mean their collection of a judgment?

I assumed you meant the collection, as if you pay the debt prior to their civil action being tried, there can be no award of a judgment by the court.

The creditor will, upon reaching a settlement with you, notify they court of dismissal of their civil action as now being moot.  

No judgment will then appear in the public record.

Message 4 of 6
Creditrecipe
New Contributor

No, I mean it reporting on my credit as a "paid" collection account. Sorry for the confusion. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditrecipe wrote:

No, I mean it reporting on my credit as a "paid" collection account. Sorry for the confusion. 

To be quite honest, its probably too late for that if they have already files a case against you. If you have the means to pay, do so before the court date or you will ALSO have a judgment on your reports as well.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.