Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise Accounts in Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprise Accounts in Collections

I just checked my credit report, and I have two accounts in collections.  However, the account number, collection agency, and any other useful information are "not provided".  On one account, I know where it came from, it is a surprise because it was a medical account from when I was still a dependant, and my dad was supposed to pay it.  The other account, I have no idea where it came from or what it could possibly be related to.  Is there any way to find information on these two accounts?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Surprise Accounts in Collections

Hi katekate, welcome to the forum.  If you have not done so already pull all 3 CR once a year for free.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Medical collections are handled different from all other collections!  Paid medical must be deleted from your CR.

You must follow the HIPAA in order!

You will find more detail info. on a CR pulled from each CB.

Look at your CR to see who the creditor is that the CA is reporting for.

What you need to know is:  who is reporting an OC....CA or both.

What is the DOFD/DOLA

When it comes to medical you want the date of service.

Because you were a minor at the time of the medical....you need to check with your state. Some states may hold you responsable.

Try to contact the ins.co. to see if the claim was filed with them.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the one that I know is medical, the date last active is Mar 1, 2004.  I know that it was indeed filed with the insurance company. 

Thank you for your help!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it was filed did the ins. pay?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it was part of the deductible.  The debt is the reduced amount that is negotiated by insurance companies.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the other account information, and it is also a medical account.  I paid it, but it is still showing as unpaid.  How do I fix that?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the money to pay these in full.  I have read through the HIPAA information, and am starting on those steps.  Can I still use the insert that says this account has been paid in full even though it is reported as unpaid on the credit report?

I had a letter stating that it was paid in full, but it got destroyed in the flood from Hurricane Ike, so I now have no verification.  It is only listed on one of the two reports that I can pull online.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.