Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise Medical Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprise Medical Collections

Hi, I have two medical collections that showed up on my CR.  They are both from the same doctor (one for medical visit and one for in-house blood-work, etc testing.  They do blood work, biopsy testing on-site but bill for it separately.  This is for a visit from over a year ago (Novemeber of 2015 if I remember correctly).  I had been under the impression that insurance covered everything outside my co-pays. I moved about six months after the doctor visit.  During that time, I never received any bill from them.  I just called them and they said a bill was sent and then a letter stating they would be sending to collections if I did not pay in full.  I obviously never got these letters.  It is very possible they were never forwarded to my new address.   Our mail guy there sucked.  Anyhoo, these bills aren't too large.  The doctor visit is only about $70 and the blood work is for about $300.  I can easily pay these, but I would like to get them removed from my CR as they are the only negatives really affecting my score.  What would be the best course of action?  I definitely don't qualify for charity case.  Would most doctor's offices be able/willing to recall collections?  What is the best way to go about doing something like this?  Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Surprise Medical Collections

Has the debt collector purchased the debt, or are they only an assignee of the original creditor?

The OC can only terminate the debt collector, and thus require deletion of their unpaid collection, if the OC still owns the debt.

Regardless of ownership, best bet is to get the bill paid via insurance.

That will permit deletion of any collection, regardless of any other issues.

The CRAs have a new policy, set forth in their "National Consumer Assistance Plan," and resulting from a 2015 agreement they signed with mulitple state office of the AG, of deletion of any collection that is paid via medical insurance.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only issue I see with the insurance is that I no longer have the same insurance.  My company changed insurance providers this year.

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Since you know you cant get Charity Care start with #2

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.