Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Charge Off

tag
reckedhim
Frequent Contributor

Synchrony Charge Off

I'm trying to help my SO repair her credit that was messed up by her ex-husband. One of the items is a synchrony account that they charged off in 06/2012. The account has several late payments on it. The CA that it went to us not reporting the account. We tried sending a PFD to synchrony but they told us to contact the CA.

In this situation, should I just simply ask Synchrony to remove the late payments as a GW adjustment? Is there any chance they'll do this since the account was charged off?

Is there anything else we can do to get these removed? She has other accounts with synchrony that have 100% on time payments so maybe that will help.

Any advice or contact info would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Synchrony Charge Off

You can still deal with the original creditor (OC) as long as they still own the debt.

However, if they have sold the debt to the debt collector, then they can no longer accept payment.

Does the OC still own the debt?

Even if the OC still owns the debt, they have the right to instruct the consumer to deal exclusively with their assigned agent.

Many creditors use debt collectors to avoid the collection hassle, and many collection assignment agreements include terms that preclude the OC from accepting any payments while the assignment remains in effect.  It is up to the OC to determine whether they wish to accept payments from you, and if they do, to cancel their assignment to the debt collector prior to receipt of payment.

If the OC does take payment and the assignment is still in effect, the debt collector can still report their collection, but must show paid, $0 balance.

Many debt collectors will not report after the debt has been paid, but are not precluded from doing so.

Your payment to the OC can include a PFD agreement applying to anything reported by the creditor.

You can offer a pay for not reporting to the debt  collector, which, if accepted, will prevent their reporting of their collection as an agreed contract condition of payment.

That would be my suggested option.

Message 2 of 6
trnj88
New Contributor

Since the debt no longer belongs to Synchrony I'd imagine they'd have no interest or ability to do anything with a PFD.

Honestly my route would be to send a letter or email to the Synchrony CEO explaining the situation, especially if you have other favorable Synchrony tradelines. Mention the situation with the ex-husband and that it is not a reflection of your SO's true credit worthiness as apparent by her other history with Synchrony.

Since Synchrony likely just sold the debt to the CA they may be willing to make a courtesy adjustment if you catch the Executive Office on a good day.. no history myself with Synchrony goodwills, however.

If the CA is not reporting to the credit bureaus then you're lucky IMO. Personally I'd send the CA a letter offering payment if they agree not to report anything to the bureaus, period, neither retroactively nor going forward.. this would let you certify to yourselves that the CA will not report anything and that no further damage will be done, so you can focus on dealing with Synchrony.

I wouldn't want to see you make a payment while they report to the bureaus simultaneously. In that case you'd eliminate any chance of a PFD and the CA will close the book on your account.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 6
reckedhim
Frequent Contributor

@trnj88 wrote:

Since the debt no longer belongs to Synchrony I'd imagine they'd have no interest or ability to do anything with a PFD.

Honestly my route would be to send a letter or email to the Synchrony CEO explaining the situation, especially if you have other favorable Synchrony tradelines. Mention the situation with the ex-husband and that it is not a reflection of your SO's true credit worthiness as apparent by her other history with Synchrony.

Since Synchrony likely just sold the debt to the CA they may be willing to make a courtesy adjustment if you catch the Executive Office on a good day.. no history myself with Synchrony goodwills, however.

If the CA is not reporting to the credit bureaus then you're lucky IMO. Personally I'd send the CA a letter offering payment if they agree not to report anything to the bureaus, period, neither retroactively nor going forward.. this would let you certify to yourselves that the CA will not report anything and that no further damage will be done, so you can focus on dealing with Synchrony.

I wouldn't want to see you make a payment while they report to the bureaus simultaneously. In that case you'd eliminate any chance of a PFD and the CA will close the book on your account.

Good luck.

Thanks, I pretty much did all that you said.  Guess we'll just wait and hope for the best.

Message 4 of 6
reckedhim
Frequent Contributor

Got a voicemail from the President’s office yesterday saying they would respond by mail. Based on what I’ve read here, that usually means they’re not going to make any changes to the CR. Guess I’ll just have to keep trying and sending letters & emails.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you pm a number for who you called
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.