Anonymous
Not applicable

DELETED

DELETED

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: THE BUREAUS Collection Account (Saks) is Ruining My Life!!!

What was the inaccuracy that was the stated basis for your prior dispute?

REsolution of a dispute involves only the treatment of the information that was asserted to be inaccurate.

A dispute, for example, of the reported open date of a collection only applies to that reporting, and since it does not relate to the legitimacy of the debt per se, would not be basis for deletion of the entire collection.  It would only result in verification or corrrection of that item of information.  

Removal of a collection on a legit debt usually requires offering a pay for deletion (PFD), which requires that you pay the debt.

Otherwise, the collection can remain until expiration of the credit report exclusion period at approx 7 years from the DOFD on the OC account.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the DoFD of the account?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are living rent free right now, I wouldn't even think about renting until you get your financial situation in order.

You can have decent credit scores even with a collection reporting. Rebuilding your credit is just one step towards financial strength.

What's your income, how much do you save every month, what are your expenses, and what credit cards and loans do you have open and reporting?

That collection isn't the reason your scores are low, you just haven't done all the steps towards rebuilding yet.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saks isn't ruining your life, you are.
The debt isn't going away on its own. If you created the debt, then start paying it.
Message 5 of 7
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

Hey Bianca--

Welcome to the boards and CONGRATULATIONS on having the fortitude to come online and get help.  That is a very important step and one that shouldn't be overlooked.  As you probably are reading through the responses, you will likely get a lot of pratical advice on dealing with your issue at hand as well as some unsolicited assumptions and downright rude responses.  I tend to overlook the latter two, and I hope that you do as well because it's important to recognize the impacts credit reporting and scores can have on your everyday life.  

Before renting, for whatever reason you have to start renting, I would advise that you call the debt collection agency and ask them for a payment plan.  The fact of the matter is that you are still a college student with what is likely limited income.  I would strongly, strongly encourage you to pay this debt off before you add additional renting expenses in your budget.  What you may find is that rent + utilities + this payment agreement do not all work and you need a roof over your head.  Fun fact--if that occurs, unfortunately Saks doesn't care and will still collect haha.

There are so many different reasons for you to need to rent, I would just advise you to determine the actual costs.  And then figure out ways to mitigate them--if you have no other choice but to rent because your college only offers two years of student housing, consider adding roommates into the mix to help share & drive costs down. 

Secondly, since this is a Saks card--and you can't buy food or shelter with that card--consider in the future to STOP using store cards.  Literally the only thing they get you in your 20s or college years are clothes.  You can live without those clothes.  

Finally, perspective is everything, with everything.  From the "need" to have the Saks card to the "Saks is ruining my life".  The collection from Saks is a situation you are in.  It is a situation you will not be in forever.  You can mitigate the impacts of that situation by the decisions that you make.  However, you can control the impacts of this temporary situation.  

Call them and let us know what they say.  Keep your head up.

My FICO Scores:
9/17: EQ - 542 / TU - 535 / EX - 506 // Mortgage: 553, 545, 486
10/ 17: EQ - 558 / TU - 563 / EX - 586 // Mortgage: 554, 568, 536
11/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 589 / EX - 614 // Mortgage: 606, 606, 572
12/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 624 / EX - 619 // Mortgage: 584, 612, 671

9/18: EQ - 676 / TU - 676 / EX - 643 // Mortgage: 652, 628, 606

Journey Milestones: Completed Federal Student Loan Rehab in Sept 2017. Settled First Premier Bank CC in August 2017. Constant uphill battle with Navient incorrect reporting on seven (7!) private student loans. No TLs listed in delinquency. Obsessively keeping 2 CC UTI @ 7-9% monthly.

End Goal: Pre-Approval for FHA Spring/Summer 2018 (COMPLETED)
New End Goal: 700+ Spring 2019
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindysMom wrote:

Hey Bianca--

Welcome to the boards and CONGRATULATIONS on having the fortitude to come online and get help.  That is a very important step and one that shouldn't be overlooked.  As you probably are reading through the responses, you will likely get a lot of pratical advice on dealing with your issue at hand as well as some unsolicited assumptions and downright rude responses.  I tend to overlook the latter two, and I hope that you do as well because it's important to recognize the impacts credit reporting and scores can have on your everyday life.  

Before renting, for whatever reason you have to start renting, I would advise that you call the debt collection agency and ask them for a payment plan.  The fact of the matter is that you are still a college student with what is likely limited income.  I would strongly, strongly encourage you to pay this debt off before you add additional renting expenses in your budget.  What you may find is that rent + utilities + this payment agreement do not all work and you need a roof over your head.  Fun fact--if that occurs, unfortunately Saks doesn't care and will still collect haha.

There are so many different reasons for you to need to rent, I would just advise you to determine the actual costs.  And then figure out ways to mitigate them--if you have no other choice but to rent because your college only offers two years of student housing, consider adding roommates into the mix to help share & drive costs down. 

Secondly, since this is a Saks card--and you can't buy food or shelter with that card--consider in the future to STOP using store cards.  Literally the only thing they get you in your 20s or college years are clothes.  You can live without those clothes.  

Finally, perspective is everything, with everything.  From the "need" to have the Saks card to the "Saks is ruining my life".  The collection from Saks is a situation you are in.  It is a situation you will not be in forever.  You can mitigate the impacts of that situation by the decisions that you make.  However, you can control the impacts of this temporary situation.  

Call them and let us know what they say.  Keep your head up.

The OP admits the collection is accurate. The OP needs to deal with contacting the OC or the CA and getting this problem worked out. It can be a temporary problem ( up to 7 years on your profiles ). And hopefully wont be sued and getting a judgement, which can be a problem much longer.

My suggestion to the OP would be to get it paid, after all, you have the goods and stiffed them. 

It would look a lot better on your profiles as paid than unpaid. Once paid you can work hard on a goodwill campaign.

Welcome to the forums...

Don't take offense OP, I have been where you are. Some of us won't baby you, to get you focused and to understand the seriousness, we will just tell you the hard facts... others Will baby you...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.