cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU 50 point drop in 2 months, totally inexplicable!!

tag
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

TU 50 point drop in 2 months, totally inexplicable!!

This just blows me away.  I compared reports (specifically Transunion) from two months ago, vs. today.  I've dropped 51 points, without any REAL concrete reason.

Most everything is the same.  My utility is actually 20% less now than it was.

Collections are the same, two are now paid, but it's still the same amounts.

Time since late is identical (which doesn't make any sense, frankly, it should be two months older now)

Inquiries were cut in HALF (I had a bunch for car shopping drop off this month)

Average age did go down a full year from 2.8 to 1.8 BUT along with that was dropping the only thing I had with late payments on it, so I'd assume it would be a wash there. 

Could I really lose 51 points from AAOA dropping?  I mean, I guess the answer is yes, but that seems excessive, no?  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TU 50 point drop in 2 months, totall inexplicable!!

are these Fico or FAKO scores?

Message 2 of 11
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

Re: TU 50 point drop in 2 months, totall inexplicable!!

They are FICO scores.....

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TU 50 point drop in 2 months, totally inexplicable!!

I read somewhere (for the life of me I can't remember where) that when you pay a collection it gets scored as a new collection. Don't know how accurate that is but it might explain the drop.
Message 4 of 11
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I read somewhere (for the life of me I can't remember where) that when you pay a collection it gets scored as a new collection. Don't know how accurate that is but it might explain the drop.

I thought that too, but I just had 3 new collections (zombie collectors that I'm having to go through the process of getting off the reports) hit my other two (they have not hit TU) and it dropped them 16 and 20 points.  Not 51.

I don't know, maybe that's it, but sheesh that would be super excessive. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've read on here that once things start dropping off / getting paid, you get placed in a new credit scoring bracket which can have a negative impact on your score initially.  Hopefully someone who knows more about it will post better info but maybe that's it?  It's actually a positive in the long run but looks bad in the beginning due to the score drop.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe you got rebucketed.....give it a month and see if you start rebounding......I got ALL collections off and dropped like 32 points a month ago....just finally starting to come back up - and if I wouldn't have messed up my UTIL earlier this month I probably would have got it all back.

Message 7 of 11
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

No other suggestions?  While I appreciate those who chimed in, going from 651 to 600 is pretty darn substantial when there's nothing to back it up. I'd have a hard time chalking that up to "rebucketing"

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updated date on paid collections. I just gained 61 points from dropping a collection, I'm sure you could easily lose 50.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

One or more items have clearly been updated. Thats where I would start looking - reported dates.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.