Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU not granting EEs for BK anymore?

tag
gabby1120
Established Member

TU not granting EEs for BK anymore?

I have a discharged Chapter 13 scheduled to fall off in September, and have read up on previous threads about this here on myfico.com, and so called Transunion twice today to request an early exclusion. Both supervisors (I called two separate times) said that TU doesn't grant EEs for bankruptcy but that I could file a dispute stating the item as inaccurate. Has their policy changed in the last couple of years? Any advice about what to do, or word on whether someone has recently requested an Early Exclusion and had it granted?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: TU not granting EEs for BK anymore?

I think it comes down to getting a supervisor who will do it for you.  I've read where some people have had to call 5 or 6 times.  Maybe try disputing it and just put in the comments that you are requesting it be removed early.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 8
gabby1120
Established Member

Yeah, I've been reading the old forum posts about this issue, but it still seems odd to me unless it's a new policy they have. I'm definitely well within the six month window--both the front line CSR and the supervisor were speaking from call centers in India. I just tried to log in to view my TU credit report and an error message said that I must call in with a dispute; I called again, and the person (different number) said that I opened a dispute online (I didn't complete it) and that he can't see the items I disputed (neither can I--no confirmation email, which is unusual for TU), and he can't tell me the reason for the dispute. He also said TU is obligated to report items for the full term (which isn't legally true-I'm a lawyer). I'm so confused right now. 

Message 3 of 8
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I've found that the call center in India is very by the books.  I've only reached a call center in the US once and it was by chance.  I've heard of people requesting to be transferred to a call center in the US.  Could try that route.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 8
gabby1120
Established Member

I tried filing an online dispute using Credit Karma--they no longer have an option for 'item too old' for public records so I just said 'contains multiple inaccuracies,' and marked the other accounts IIB as too old. Should I cancel the dispute and try calling a different day to get someone in the US who can handle it? It wasn't supposed to be a dispute at all--just an early exclusion request (as I've seen so many here post success stories with TU that way, and right now, that credit score of mine is a solid 20 points below the other CRAs. 

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@gabby1120 wrote:

I tried filing an online dispute using Credit Karma--they no longer have an option for 'item too old' for public records so I just said 'contains multiple inaccuracies,' and marked the other accounts IIB as too old. Should I cancel the dispute and try calling a different day to get someone in the US who can handle it? It wasn't supposed to be a dispute at all--just an early exclusion request (as I've seen so many here post success stories with TU that way, and right now, that credit score of mine is a solid 20 points below the other CRAs. 

TU calls their EE a dispute but its actually a grant of goodwill on their part. Since you have acutally filed a dispute I would just let it go to completion as trying to cancel could lead to more problems.

Message 6 of 8
gabby1120
Established Member

Thanks for the advice! I actually just spent two hours trying to verify the information myself via PACER and ndc using various combinations of my first, middle, and last names, and the docket number, and the PACER SSN search--and nothing came up. If I can't verify the information myself, how likely is it that the CSR rep will be able to do so? It genuinely looks like there are no documents to be found anywhere--is this possible? 

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@gabby1120 wrote:

Thanks for the advice! I actually just spent two hours trying to verify the information myself via PACER and ndc using various combinations of my first, middle, and last names, and the docket number, and the PACER SSN search--and nothing came up. If I can't verify the information myself, how likely is it that the CSR rep will be able to do so? It genuinely looks like there are no documents to be found anywhere--is this possible? 

Pacer isnt the only place to get the info. Typically companies like Lexus Nexus send runners to the courthouse to get the records and then they turn around and sell that info to the CRAs. A courthouse will never verify that a BK has been filed its the company that sells the info to the CRA that attests the info is correct.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.