cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU won't change inaccurate information. What next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU won't change inaccurate information. What next?

I have an account which is adversely affecting my credit on TU. The account was closed in 03/2003 and is reported as such by TU. However, the account is reporting 60 days delinquent in 04/2005. How an account can be reported 60 days delinquent 2 years after it was closed is beyond me!

I disputed the information TWICE but TU won't remove it. TU stated that I would have to contact the OC directly in order for them to remove the incorrect information. That seems strange to me so I thought I would ask the experts here on MyFICO.

So, is a DV to the OC my next step? If not, what should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by schlebrock on 02-12-2009 08:00 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dispute to TU verified but is still inaccurate. Is sending a DV my next step?

No. You cannot DV an OC.  You can only DV a CA.

Once an OC closes an account, no, they cannot report subsequent delinquencies.  The CRA cannot require you to verify with the OC.  That is their obligaton under FCRA 611(a)(1)(a).  If they refuse to do so, they are in violation of FCRA 611.

File a new dispute letter under FCRA 611(a)(1), stating that their prior investigation did not respond to the grounds for investigation that you requested, namely the inaccurate reporting of an account delinquency after the account was closed.

Make it clear in your dispute letter to the CRA that what you are disputing is not the accuracy of who owns the account or debt, but rather the accuracy of their reporting of account delinquencies after the accunt was closed.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute to TU verified but is still inaccurate. Is sending a DV my next step?

Thanks for the guidance RobertEG.

Should I send CMRRR? If so, which address (other than the TU P.O. Box) should it go to?

Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.