Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the offer or leave it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take the offer or leave it?

It's been a while since I have been on the forum. I need some help or direction. I am currently recovering from bankruptcy which I claimed almost 3 years ago as a result of a car accident and losing a job all in 5 months of eachother. I started to rebuild my credit with several credit cards and was doing well till I yet again lost my job about two years ago. I joined a credit counseling service and have been seeing results, I also live within my means the best I can and sometimes work part time. My score went from the 400's to my current score of 565. I recently just paid off my car as well which will hopefully increase my score. Now to the important part, I got a credit offer in the mail and have been wanting to get a card to help when I travel ( I had my bank card stolen a while back and ever since been real worried about traveling with it). Should I take the offer? I know it's not the best but with my credit and credit offerings in general being low to nill these days I am entertaining the thought. Here are the details of the offer:

$700 limit

23.9% PAR

one time processing fee of $25

1st year annual fee $175, paid in full one time

Yearly annual fee of $174.00 paid monthly at $14.50

cash advance fee $5.00 or 3% of the amount taken whichever is greater

Late fee $29.00 for $500 balance, $35 for balances over $500

Return Item fee $29

I am scared to think about a new credit card cause you never know what could happen. I don't want to be in the position I was in the past. Lose a job and be stuck with bills and work hard just to barley keep a float.

Thanks ahead of time for support and suggestions.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Take the offer or leave it?

I would say leave it. I think you can do better else where

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It doesnt look very inviting.

With most such offers, the intial processing and annual fees are folded into your account balance.

Before you charge one penny, your account may show a balance of $200 on a $700 CL card, or a % util of close to 30%. 

If not paid in full the first month, at an annual APR of 23.9%, you are paying approx 2% interest per month.  Then they are going to tack on another $14.50 a month to cover your next year's annual fee?  You could easilty end up, if you simple make the min monthly payment on the card, with a % util of close to 50% in a little more than a year.

I would first go to my local credit union or bank, and shop around.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend a secure credit card. Work on getting up your score a little more before you try for unsecured credit. I personally was sent a pre-approved card from 1st premier with a 1500 credit limit. I felt very tempted but I resisted. The reason why is because I knew that I could do better. You can as well friend.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Be very wary of so-called "pre-approved" offers.  The controlling workd is "PRE."

What they are really doing is using a marketing ploys to get you to apply.  Their "pre-approval" solicitation was made without any access to your CR, other than your name and address.  They want to get your written authorization to then pull your full CR.  That is when the approval process begins.  Then you are hit for an authorized credit pull, whether or not the card is approved.

Do your own shopping first, dont your their home credit shopping network.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be shredding the offer. I believe a secured card is the best best. Which gave me a good idea, I'll put my savings for my upcoming trip on the card and use that as I travel. I have already check with my local credit union and they said I still need to work on my score and in a year I should try again. Thanks! I am hoping to get to a 600 score within a year, this should help.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.