Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking first step to rebuild our credits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Taking first step to rebuild our credits

My wife and I are wanting to start the process to rebuild her credits. Like many we are hoping to buy a home hopefully next year and need as many TL cleared as possible. Most of those bills are medicals when we had our first daughter, things were crazy and we were stupid, we learned and didn't incured any debts when we had our 2nd daughter.

We already applied for secured cards through capital one, wife got approved, I am still waiting.

She has 11 different items on her credit report (9 of 11 medical, 1 PIF for a total of $1200) and we would like to pay them all in full howeve,r I read that CAs do not accept PFD easily anymore (for small amounts, (highest is $200 and most around $50-100) since it is "against their obligation to report things that are true" (if the Credit bureau finds they do too many PFD's they get their right to report revoked and go down).

Notes: All debts are inside SOL and all debts are owned by CA's (no OC, from what her report shows).

There are a few from a few different CA's:

* CA (A) has 1 (not local Enhanced Recovery corp from an old ATT bill $80)

* CA (B) has 2 (local CA for 2 hospital bills, both around $200)

* CA (C) has 2 (local CA: one PIF and one hospital bill for around $60)

* CA (D) has 2 (local CA: 2 hospital bills, around $100 and $60)

* CA (E) has 3 (local CA: 2 laboratory bills, around $60, $80 and $100)

* CA (F) has 1 (local CA: 1 laboratory bill, around $200)

By local CA, I mean in our state, one even in our city.

Something weird I noticed is that ALL laboratory bills have the same account number (can't see the last 4 digits though) and all hospital bills have again the same account number (again I can't see the last 4 digits)... Those similarities are accross collection agencies and for one case the amount also matches.

My questions:

1. Should I PFD them all since we are pretty sure they ARE ours and want to make amend or should we try Verification letters on those that have similar amounts and account numbers accross collection agencies (maybe they sold the debts and didn't remove them?)?

2. Should I send one PFD or Verification letter per trade line or one for each agencies noting each account numbers in that one letter (the account numbers are the same in the report since I can't see the last 4 digits so would be "re: account 002000xxxx, 002000xxxx, 002000xxxx" (fake numbers)).

Sorry for the long post and thank you, I've been reading about credit repair only for a week or so and see so much conflicting information that I am a little lost.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
electra
Established Contributor

Re: Taking first step to rebuild our credits

For the Enhanced Recovery, send DV CMRRR.

For the medical, I'll send you a PM.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help, I have my DV letter ready for ERC and will be mailing it tomorrow, waiting on some papers to get started on the rest.

I'll update this thread with result from ERC when/if I get any.

Message 3 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife and I are wanting to start the process to rebuild her credits. Like many we are hoping to buy a home hopefully next year and need as many TL cleared as possible. Most of those bills are medicals when we had our first daughter, things were crazy and we were stupid, we learned and didn't incured any debts when we had our 2nd daughter.

We already applied for secured cards through capital one, wife got approved, I am still waiting.

She has 11 different items on her credit report (9 of 11 medical, 1 PIF for a total of $1200) and we would like to pay them all in full howeve,r I read that CAs do not accept PFD easily anymore (for small amounts, (highest is $200 and most around $50-100) since it is "against their obligation to report things that are true" (if the Credit bureau finds they do too many PFD's they get their right to report revoked and go down).

Notes: All debts are inside SOL and all debts are owned by CA's (no OC, from what her report shows).

There are a few from a few different CA's:

* CA (A) has 1 (not local Enhanced Recovery corp from an old ATT bill $80)  You can send a DV and if they validate, send a PFD.

* CA (B) has 2 (local CA for 2 hospital bills, both around $200)

* CA (C) has 2 (local CA: one PIF and one hospital bill for around $60)

* CA (D) has 2 (local CA: 2 hospital bills, around $100 and $60)

* CA (E) has 3 (local CA: 2 laboratory bills, around $60, $80 and $100)

* CA (F) has 1 (local CA: 1 laboratory bill, around $200)

You really wouldn't know if the CA owned them or not without contacting the OC.  Just because the OC isn't reporting doesn't mean they don't own them.  I would start by contacting the OC and find out for sure if they own them.  If they do, ask about making payment arrangements or PIF if they will recall the debts from the CA.  It can be done if they will.  If they say no, you have to work with the CA.   Then send a DV and if the validate send a PFD.

By local CA, I mean in our state, one even in our city.

Something weird I noticed is that ALL laboratory bills have the same account number (can't see the last 4 digits though) and all hospital bills have again the same account number (again I can't see the last 4 digits)... Those similarities are accross collection agencies and for one case the amount also matches.

My questions:

1. Should I PFD them all since we are pretty sure they ARE ours and want to make amend or should we try Verification letters on those that have similar amounts and account numbers accross collection agencies (maybe they sold the debts and didn't remove them?)?

2. Should I send one PFD or Verification letter per trade line or one for each agencies noting each account numbers in that one letter (the account numbers are the same in the report since I can't see the last 4 digits so would be "re: account 002000xxxx, 002000xxxx, 002000xxxx" (fake numbers)).

Sorry for the long post and thank you, I've been reading about credit repair only for a week or so and see so much conflicting information that I am a little lost.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply.

Just wondering how to go about finding who to talk to and how to word it...Accounting department ? ask them to find the bills (I don't have the full account numbers) and say...? "I have debts reported on my credit report from your establishment and I was wondering if there was a way to come to an arrangement to pay them in full in exchange for recalling them off collection"? There is most likely a better way to say it?

Could it backfire as an acknowledgement of said debt ? We save enough to pay them all but the end result we want is to have them removed from her credit report. If that worked we could get 9 lines removed from only 3 different OC's. I am thinking if they can they might be more likely to want to do so since that would settle from 2 to 4 bills each.

Thank you

Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

Just wondering how to go about finding who to talk to and how to word it...Accounting department ? ask them to find the bills (I don't have the full account numbers) and say...? "I have debts reported on my credit report from your establishment and I was wondering if there was a way to come to an arrangement to pay them in full in exchange for recalling them off collection"? There is most likely a better way to say it?

Could it backfire as an acknowledgement of said debt ? We save enough to pay them all but the end result we want is to have them removed from her credit report. If that worked we could get 9 lines removed from only 3 different OC's. I am thinking if they can they might be more likely to want to do so since that would settle from 2 to 4 bills each.

Thank you

If the debts are still within suing SOL, acknowledging them or not doesn't matter.  There is nothing to restart.

Yep, just ask for the business or accounting office.  Let them know there are several collections on your report and you would like to see what arrangements can be made to take care of them.  If you're not sure they are yours you can ask.  Then you can ask about recalling them etc.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today , we called all 3 OC that had 9 of the accounts between them and each said they didn't own the accounts anymore and that we would have to contact the CA...sad but that was worth a try.

On a good note, I pulled my own report to see how things were holding (the ones we're working on are my wife's), FAKO's are in the 700+ (I know they're fakos and vary a lot), but from 4 collections I had last year, only 1 is left with my 2 satisfactory accounts with an average account age of 9 years7months Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Today , we called all 3 OC that had 9 of the accounts between them and each said they didn't own the accounts anymore and that we would have to contact the CA...sad but that was worth a try.

On a good note, I pulled my own report to see how things were holding (the ones we're working on are my wife's), FAKO's are in the 700+ (I know they're fakos and vary a lot), but from 4 collections I had last year, only 1 is left with my 2 satisfactory accounts with an average account age of 9 years7months Smiley Very Happy

That is a good thing.  Better off than you thought!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guiness56, the 700+ fako's and 1neg + 2 pos report are mine, my wife is the one with the very bad stuff lol...Doesn't matter really since we need it cleaned up Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.