cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target GW success anyone?

tag
lhartman627

Target GW success anyone?

I sent a letter to Target to please remove my two 30-day late payments from 2010 and 2011. I explained my situation and why I was unable to make the payments on time. I was denied!!  I rewrote the letter instead of asking to "delete" the payments and asked for a "goodwill adjustment." Has anyone had success with Target? If so, what was your approach?

Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 750

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
retroAction
Contributor

Re: Target GW success anyone?

There have been many that have had success with Target GW request, just stick with it. I think it is smart to never expect a GW request to work but to just keep sending them until one does. If you search the forums you can find multiple accounts of successful Target GW requests. I have a request in right now and I am sure that I will be another one of those success stories, even if it takes a few months.

Good luck!

Current Score: EQ Fico 651 (5/22/2012)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
My Credit Rebuild Project Log
Message 2 of 12
lhartman627

Thanks!

Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 750

Message 3 of 12
K_J
Regular Contributor

I had one 30 days late last April and i have sent close to 10 GW's to target with no luck , I will keep on sending until I annoy them enough to do something

Starting Score: EQ: 532, EX: 569, TU: 621 (All lender pull 10/15/11)
Score: EQ: 660,lender pull 4/13, EX: 671 lender pull 4/13, TU: 691 lender pull (4/13)
, current Score (3/16/17) EQ: 724. Goal Score: 700

Message 4 of 12
retroAction
Contributor

I recently sent a Target goodwill letter to the address listed on my statement and about two weeks later I received a notice in the mail that the trade line would be removed. This is was for an account that was closed by the lender and that I had paid off in full in 08/2011. The account had 9 lates on it.  Everything that I have read seems to suggest that Target is pretty good about granting goodwill requests but I am sure that your chances are more likely if you do not have an outstanding balance with them at the time of the request.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 12
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

@lhartman627 wrote:

I sent a letter to Target to please remove my two 30-day late payments from 2010 and 2011. 

Why do you think you should have those removed?   Your account is a contract when you sign up for it, to pay the bank back.   Having two 30 day lates in back to back years doesn't look good for one's credit worthiness.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Message 6 of 12
Katytee
Established Member

Bringing this thread back to life to see if anyone else has any ideas?

I have one 30-day late for Target from January 2011 and have had this card since 2008. These people have denied me more times than I can remember trying to get it removed. I have sent e-mails, called a couple times, and sent numerous GW letters to them. They are seemingly quite irritated with my constant letters, and are now to the point of constantly referencing the "past letters" I have sent them in their responses saying "Just like they said in the April 2012 letter...etc. they will NOT adjust this tradeline for me" or something like that. Basically trying to tell me to quit sending letters. I'm frustrated about this one..... and thinking maybe I should wait another 6 months before trying again Smiley Sad

Starting: 535 (EQ)
Current: 638 (EQ) FICO 9/2012
Goal: 640 - Mortgage here I come!
Message 7 of 12
compassion101
Established Contributor

I had success recently with Target. My circumstance was a bit different though. I had only one 30 day late about 18 months ago and it was due to a payment being returned. I made payment on time and it was denied due to wrong banking account number and I was moving when they sent me notice of the returned payment so I didn't know about it till it was 30 days late. They even refunded me the late fee at the time. '

'

I sent them a letter asking for adjustment, reminding them I have made every other payment on time for the past 2 years. What address are you sending to?

Message 8 of 12
Katytee
Established Member

I have always sent letters to Target Financial Services at their Minneapolis, MN ddress. I once also sent one to the CEO's address, also in Minneapolis, MN.

Starting: 535 (EQ)
Current: 638 (EQ) FICO 9/2012
Goal: 640 - Mortgage here I come!
Message 9 of 12
retroAction
Contributor

Does the card currently have a balance on it? How have you worded your GW letters?

You will have much better luck asking for GW if you make sure that you don't include anything that would give them the impression that you think you "deserve" the modification... It's goodwill, so it really is up to them, after all... your credit is currently more accurate than it would be if they removed the baddie.

My understanding is that Target will often remove the reporting for that month for you if they can find anything on the account that could indicate a mistake on their behalf of any kind. Otherwise it seems like they will not remove it but are often willing to remove a tradeline entirely if the account is no longer active.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.