Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Visa Charge-Off Delete

tag
recybervic
Established Member

Target Visa Charge-Off Delete

I'm working on cleaning up the CR but I need some help with one baddie. It's Target Visa that was listed as a charge-off from DW that is only showing on my TU. I'm 90% sure that I was only an AU on the account. So I disputed as I've done on other neg AU baddies on my report all were deleted but this one. It came back as verified. I called the OC recovery dept. and they more less told me that it was in fact a joint account. When I asked for some proof I was immediately brushed off and told that the Account had been sold to Midland and to contact them because they have all the info needed. Now I have some concerns about going any further.

I never received anything from Midland about this debt. Either by mail or on my CR.
How do I go about proving that it is in fact my account and not just an AU without waking the sleeping dog?

TNB-VISA#xxxxxxxxxxxxxDate updated12/20/2012TermsPaid Mo
Date opened4/18/2002Payment Rec$0Date Closed3/5/2009
ResponsibilityJoint AccountLast Payment Made1/25/2009Date Paid1/25/2009
Balance$0High Bal$1,513  
Acct TypeRevolving AcctOriginal Charge Off$1,513  

RemarksPURCHASED BY ANOTHER LENDER; TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER OFFICE
Estimated Mo and Yr that this item will be removed: 02/2016  

Starting Score: EX 592FAKO 600 EQ 579 TU
Current Score: EX 723 EQ 725 TU 710
Goal Score: EX 700 EQ 700 TU 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Visa Charge-Off Delete

I would dispute with every credit agency and sent Goodwill letter to Midland.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I see two separate issues.

One is your status as a joint account owner, and the other is the reporting to your credit file.

Since you are an AU, I dont see an issue, regardless of account responsbility, for its appearance in your CR.

You authorized that appearance by accepting AU status.

Deletion based on AU status would involve discontinuing as an AU, which will remove the entire account history.

If their reporting is in fact based on their assertion that you are a responsible party under the account, the very first thing I would do is send the CRA a request under FCRA 609(a)(1) for the ECOA code reported by the creditor.

That code defines their statement to the CRA as to account responsibility as either sole, joint, or authorized user.

If they reported the responsibility as an AU, their statement to you that they consider you to be a responsible party  is directly contrary to their own official statment that you are not.

Message 3 of 6
recybervic
Established Member

I'm finding it hard to believe that the OC does not have any copies of the original application or files on hand to verify that I am in fact an AU and not joint on the account. Are they just being lazy? Can I send them a letter to verify my status on the account? As I said before. It's only showing on my TU report. I disputed it twice to no avail.

Message 4 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@recybervic wrote:

I'm finding it hard to believe that the OC does not have any copies of the original application or files on hand to verify that I am in fact an AU and not joint on the account. Are they just being lazy? Can I send them a letter to verify my status on the account? As I said before. It's only showing on my TU report. I disputed it twice to no avail.

Once the OC lists the account at a $0 bal they have sold the charge-off account to the CA who owns the debt now. Which means when they sold the account all information  is included in the sale therefor it is possible for the OC not or can not pull any information on the account. As RobertEG stated I would send a direct dispute to the CRA, If it is coded the way that you were a joint holder then you need to contact the CA to verify all account information.

Message 5 of 6
recybervic
Established Member

@DaBears wrote:

@recybervic wrote:

Once the OC lists the account at a $0 bal they have sold the charge-off account to the CA who owns the debt now. Which means when they sold the account all information  is included in the sale therefor it is possible for the OC not or can not pull any information on the account. As RobertEG stated I would send a direct dispute to the CRA, If it is coded the way that you were a joint holder then you need to contact the CA to verify all account information.

Thanks for all the replies. I will dispute the CRA and go from there.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.