Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target charge off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target charge off

I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit after a nasty divorce. I pulled my credit file and saw that Target is reporting as a Charge off account/sold. I called the 1800 listed to find out who they sold it to. After speaking to the representative the only account they can find is my Target Debit account. I advised her that this is a credit card account that is showing charged off. She told me she could not find any record of it. Now I send a letter verifying the information on my credit report for Target and it comes back as verified. I called again and spoke to a supervisor who told me that they can not find this account only can find my debit card account. She gave me the address to send a letter to Target Cooperation to see if they can assist me. Now this is my debt and I know I owe them. I am trying to PFD or settle this account so that I can continue my rebuilding but what happens when they can't even find the account to give you the information you need to pay for it???
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target charge off

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit after a nasty divorce. I pulled my credit file and saw that Target is reporting as a Charge off account/sold. I called the 1800 listed to find out who they sold it to. After speaking to the representative the only account they can find is my Target Debit account. I advised her that this is a credit card account that is showing charged off. She told me she could not find any record of it. Now I send a letter verifying the information on my credit report for Target and it comes back as verified. I called again and spoke to a supervisor who told me that they can not find this account only can find my debit card account. She gave me the address to send a letter to Target Cooperation to see if they can assist me. Now this is my debt and I know I owe them. I am trying to PFD or settle this account so that I can continue my rebuilding but what happens when they can't even find the account to give you the information you need to pay for it???

They have sold the account to a collector - thats who you have to deal with at this point. The collector has no influence on Target's reporting of the bad debt, and vice versa. Often when old accounts are sold off the records are "purged" and placed in long term storage - which is why the front-line reps have no access to them. Is there no associated collection reporting on this account? Have you ever received any dunning notice or collection calls from a collector about this?

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called Target to see who they sold it to... They do not have any information on this account... I have no collection agency calling me or sending me letters about this Target account. On my credit file it also does not show who the account has been sold to. Right now I have no clue who has this account that's why I contacted the OC for details on the collection agency it was sold to. Their response is that they cannot find the old account and can only find my debit card account.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I called Target to see who they sold it to... They do not have any information on this account... I have no collection agency calling me or sending me letters about this Target account. On my credit file it also does not show who the account has been sold to. Right now I have no clue who has this account that's why I contacted the OC for details on the collection agency it was sold to. Their response is that they cannot find the old account and can only find my debit card account.

You're pretty much just hangin' in the wind on this one, unfortunately. Not much you can do until the current owner of the debt contacts you.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bummer.... I'm still going to write to the OC (Target) to see if they can give me information on the new owner....I'm ready pay this and get this off my file or resolved... Hopefully I can update with good news
Message 5 of 12
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Once you do get an update on who has it you have the right mindset of getting it taken care of. Worst case, it will be paid, but hopefully they'll take that payment in exchange for getting it removed.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As Norman speculated, the OC likely still has records, and they have been sent to their dead files repository.

The phone reps either dont know how to or are too lazy to order up the record.

I would send a letter to their excutive office explaining the situation and requesting the information.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that's what I plan on doing tomorrow. I'm going to send it certified mail to the address the representative gave me and the address that is on my credit report as they are both different ones. Hopefully I get a response so I can deal with this. My DOFD is 09/2010 so if I don't get a response at least it will come off soon... Unfortunately I want a house before then 😩
Message 8 of 12
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Have you spoken to Target's in house credit department? I had a DOFD right around yours, and the managed to find it, and we worked out  settlement for around 25% of the total balance. PM me if you need their # and  a contact person.

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 9 of 12
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Also, did you speak with TD (maybe thats why they couldnt find the account?), or actually Target?

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.