Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien Amount Inaccurate

tag
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Tax Lien Amount Inaccurate

Good morning, all.

The amount in the below tax lien was correct at the time of filing, but in (approx) late 2011, the IRS did a 'reconsideration' and lowered the amount owed to 7k ish based on new evidence (long story ill skip all that). My question is: would it do any good at all to work through them and/or dispute in order to get the amount lowered to the correct amount? I will get it removed via the fresh start program in the next 12 months in a perfect world, just wasnt sure if tax liens were like CA entries...same damage regardless of the amount. Also, Ill have no need for credit before its removal that will require manual review (unless one of the CC companies wants to dig that hard I suppose).

Thanks!

Tax lien filed on Aug, 2009

TypeCourt numberCase numberDate filedAmount

Tax lien
630VS06715
Aug, 2009
$35,945
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
electra
Established Contributor

Re: Tax Lien Amount Inaccurate

Why do you think you need to wait 12 months to get it removed under Fresh Start?  If the lien amount is under $25k, and it sounds like it is now, and you are in a direct debit installment agreement, I believe they will withdraw it after a few months of payments.  Are you on a direct debit installment plan?

Message 2 of 6
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Yes, just (re)starting a payment plan. 45 days for the direct debit to kick in, 3 months of DD payments, then figured several months between requesting, getting, and filing the withdrawal. 12 months was just a worse case scenario to be safe.
Message 3 of 6
electra
Established Contributor

You could try talking to the Taxpayer Advocate and asking if withdrawal is possible now, given that the amount is inaccurate.   Withdrawing the *notice of lien* does not withdraw the lien itself, they are 2 different things.  The notice of lien is simply what attaches to your property, putting them first in line, as it were.  Tell them that you are seeking employment and that you are worried that the lien may keep you from getting a job.  (Can most certainly be the case.)

Sounds like you are wondering if they could change the amount of the notice of lien?  If so, that wouldn't make any difference to your score.  I doubt it would even make much of a difference on a manual review.  The only thing that will help is to have it withdrawn.  (A released lien will look better on a manual review but if they would be willing to release it I don't know why they wouldn't just withdraw it.)

Message 4 of 6
ando35
Frequent Contributor

What is the Fresh Start Program?

Message 5 of 6
electra
Established Contributor

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.