cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien Dispute

tag
somac213

Tax Lien Dispute

My credit report shows a tax lien with a posting date of November 01, 2001. Last year I was in the process of cleaning some things up on my record and spoke with the state with which the lien was drawn, and was coming pretty close to resolving the issue.

I contacted the state again this month, and now they show no record of a lien, nor does the state's CA. I am filing a dispute, as obviously if this can't be proven, one would think there's no way it can exist on my Credit Report.

Two questions:

1. Was a dispute the right way to go?

2. If this is resolved by EQ, will it also be resolved with the other two, or is it a one at a time type deal?

Thanks in Advance for any/all help.

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax Lien Dispute

Usually, you have to tackle each CRA separately.  Sometimes, the OC will do the right thing when confronted with the first dispute, and correct the information with the other two.  Don't expect the favor, but be pleasantly surprised if it happens.

I think disputing was the right thing to do in this instance.  It might have just aged off in the state's files.  But if they don't have a record of it, they shouldn't be able to verify it.  Your logic is sound.

We'll see how far logical takes us . . .

Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually, you have to tackle each CRA separately.  Sometimes, the OC will do the right thing when confronted with the first dispute, and correct the information with the other two.  Don't expect the favor, but be pleasantly surprised if it happens.

I think disputing was the right thing to do in this instance.  It might have just aged off in the state's files.  But if they don't have a record of it, they shouldn't be able to verify it.  Your logic is sound.

We'll see how far logical takes us . . .

Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
somac213

So, after several months of sending boatloads of paperwork, Equifax has finally removed this lien. I went from 702-796! Incredible!

Now, time to do it all over again with the other 2.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.