Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien (Expunged?)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax Lien (Expunged?)

I went about contacting the IRS about three tax liens on our credit that have been sitting as "paid and released" on our credit for three years. Today the IRS agent told my husband that she would be glad to file for all three liens to be expunged from our files and we should see that take affect right around Thanksgiving. Does this mean that our credit might go up? If so, any guesses on how much? They were three liens in the $2K range (each). Thanks for always being so very helpful!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Tax Lien (Expunged?)

@Anonymous wrote:

I went about contacting the IRS about three tax liens on our credit that have been sitting as "paid and released" on our credit for three years. Today the IRS agent told my husband that she would be glad to file for all three liens to be expunged from our files and we should see that take affect right around Thanksgiving. Does this mean that our credit might go up? If so, any guesses on how much? They were three liens in the $2K range (each). Thanks for always being so very helpful!

The IRS is referring to their Fresh Start Program which withdraws the lien from your report.  Liens are considered major derogs and affect your score, how much of an increase will depend on how old they are and the remaining items on your reports. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.