Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien Help Please

tag
redneck18
Contributor

Tax Lien Help Please

My accountant's computer software made an error in calculations on our 2014 tax return that resulted in too large of a state refund. As soon as we were notified, we turned it over to our accountant. It took a while for him to find the issue, as he had put all of his trust into this software (supposed to be the industry best). Addtionally, he and I were both communicating with the state. We finally got everything sorted out and filed an amended return, but before the auditor could look over it and provide the exact total owed (it was almost half of what they orginally assessed), this issue hit the 6 month mark and a lien was sent to our country clerk's office. The auditor issued a letter stating that the lien was filed in error. I contacted the country clerk's office, I would have accomplished more by simply beating my head into a brick wall. This all took place in March/April. Got a notice this week that a new public record hit my credit report (spouse's too). How do I handle this? Can I file a dispute with each CRA? For some reason I thought there was no way to dispute a public record. I'm in the middle of a BK and want to get this resolved before DC so I can get on the road to repair! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We live in Arkansas if that matters.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tax Lien Help Please

@redneck18 wrote:

My accountant's computer software made an error in calculations on our 2014 tax return that resulted in too large of a state refund. As soon as we were notified, we turned it over to our accountant. It took a while for him to find the issue, as he had put all of his trust into this software (supposed to be the industry best). Addtionally, he and I were both communicating with the state. We finally got everything sorted out and filed an amended return, but before the auditor could look over it and provide the exact total owed (it was almost half of what they orginally assessed), this issue hit the 6 month mark and a lien was sent to our country clerk's office. The auditor issued a letter stating that the lien was filed in error. I contacted the country clerk's office, I would have accomplished more by simply beating my head into a brick wall. This all took place in March/April. Got a notice this week that a new public record hit my credit report (spouse's too). How do I handle this? Can I file a dispute with each CRA? For some reason I thought there was no way to dispute a public record. I'm in the middle of a BK and want to get this resolved before DC so I can get on the road to repair! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We live in Arkansas if that matters.

The only way it comes off your report is for them to withdraw it and they should do that if they have admitted it was filed in their error. Contact the office that issued the lien to get it resolved.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

A dispute letter, followed by one from your lawyer shouldclear this up.

This is exactly why the dispute process exist....you clearly said, the auditor issued a letter stating that the lien was filed in ERROR

That's the very definition of not 100% accurate info, which must be removed post haste....as of THIS MINUTE they are reporting inaccurate info

as admitted to by the state auditor.....this isn't a situation where you paid and want new info reflected it wasan ERROR to have issued the lien in the 1st place

The details don't matter the point is as of RIGHT NOW their info is incorrect and of course they can't validate an incorrect filing, the only acceptable remedy is a deletion now!......Not satisfaction of lien but a deletion, period.

Message 3 of 4
redneck18
Contributor

Thank you guys for the reply. I'll get on this. I may try the county clerks office one more time, maybe I'll get a different person on the other end of the line.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.