Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Valued Member

Tax Lien / Public Record

Anyone know the details for getting a Tax Lien removed? It's been paid (I think I paid it in 2006 or 2007) I talked to the IRS guy and he said they send a release of lien at the time of payment to the Clerk of public records. but, On my CR it still shows up...not paid or updated......just there. I have the release of lien form from the IRS but and having trouble figureing out what to do with it. I sent it to the CRA's and they didn't change anything....So I'm thinking it needs to go to some clerk, but I have no intentions of going back to Jefferson Parish to the court house. Also would it really be effecting my score at this point? My scores are 696 and 717. this is the only negitive thing on my CR.

Regular Contributor

Re: Tax Lien / Public Record

I think it will stay on as a public record for 8 years? ....but there should at least be a way to make sure it shows as released.

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor

What I suggest doing is contacting your local Tax Payer Advocate and asking them for their assistance. The thing about the IRS Lien is, it will stay on your record unless you negotiated something with the IRS at the time of payment. Since you did not do that, it stays on your record... I don't know how much it hurts your score -- even if paid -- but I would assume considerably...
Moderator Emeritus

Tax Liens can remain for forever if unpaid. They remain for 7 years from date of paying them.

Dispute as "paid".

The lien release won't remove the lien, I don't believe. But you for sure need it updated to show paid.

Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.