Regular Contributor
CBARR82

Tax Lien Questions...

I am in the process of rebuilding credit and feel as though I have gotten off to a good start with the help from the forum. I am ready to attack the tax liens shown on my CR. They only seem to show on my TU and EXP. I am assuming they are some sort of county liens if there is such a thing?? 2 of the 3 are paid in full. They are listed as follows;

***** County Recorder

ID # **************

Date Filed, Sept. 2011 

Date Resolved, Feb. 2012

Claim Amount, $160

Liability Amount, Not Reported

Status, State Tax Lien Paid, released

***** County Recorder

ID # **************

Date Filed, Aug. 2007

Date Resolved, March 2008

Claim Amount, $90

Status, State Tax Lien Paid, released

***** County Recorder

ID # **************

Date Filed, May 2006

Date Resolved, Not Reported

Claim Amount, $449

Status, State Tax Lien Filed

Any ideas as to the best way to approach this? I realize I need to pay off the last one listed, but am not sure how to go about removing the paid liens. I have not been able to find anything through the searches I have tried to use. As always, Thanks ahead of time!

Community Leader
Mega Contributor
coldnmn

Re: Tax Lien Questions...

I'm sorry to report state tax liens can't be removed unless they are inaccurate.  I have seen someone get a state tax lien removed hopefully they will give you some advice. The feds have steps to get a lien removed it makes no sense the state can't have a process for their residents. Good Luck!

My Wallet /US Bank Cash+ Signature $10,000/ Ace US Bank Signature $10,000 / Sam's Mastercard $8500
/ Walmart Mastercard $8000 / Discover IT $5000 / Care Credit $5000
/ Husqvarna $5000 / PayPal SmartConnect $4800 / Cap1 Quicksilver $4000 / Barclay Ring $3550
Last App 8/12/14 /

Established Contributor
titanofold

[ Edited ]

Liens are usually filed by the court of the county you live in. I have a Federal tax lien that was filed by my local county court and it appears on my CRs as if the county leveraged the lien.

I don't know of any state that has steps to get a lien withdrawn from CRs, but you'll have to research your state to find out for sure.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)621 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)682 (FCR)/673 (CS)
TransUnion588 (CK)664 (CK)
Regular Contributor
CBARR82

I will start some research and see what I can find out about my great state of Indiana. Titanofold, how did you find out that it was a federal lien that was listed through your county? I honestly don't know where to start with this! :-( Thanks

Valued Contributor
gdale6

CBARR82 wrote:

I will start some research and see what I can find out about my great state of Indiana. Titanofold, how did you find out that it was a federal lien that was listed through your county? I honestly don't know where to start with this! :-( Thanks

It would state "federal tax lien" in place of "State tax lien". You are going to want to search the states taxing agency website for a form to withdraw the lien, if you cant find one call the state taxing agency and ask how you can get the lien withdrawn. Some states wont allow it and I dont know anything about IN law. Good luck :smileyhappy:

EX Cred Ses 12/14: 796 ; EX Fico 04 V2 06/14: 775; EX Fico 08 07/14 778 ; EX Fico 08 BC 11/14: 793
EQ Fico 05/14 781 ; EQ MPM 12/14: 750
TU Fico 8 12/14: 719; TU MPM 06/14 706
Established Contributor
titanofold

CBARR82 wrote:

Well, there was only one institution that I could have possibly owed $13,000+ to, and it sure as the sky is blue on a cloudless day that I didn't owe any money to my county. I didn't have any other information on my CRs indicating what institution wanted it. It had a case number, though, and was able to get all the details with a little legwork.

All you have to do is go to or call the County Clerk's office and you can get a copy of all the paperwork associated with the liens.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)621 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)682 (FCR)/673 (CS)
TransUnion588 (CK)664 (CK)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}