Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien Questions...

tag
CBARR82
Regular Contributor

Tax Lien Questions...

I am in the process of rebuilding credit and feel as though I have gotten off to a good start with the help from the forum. I am ready to attack the tax liens shown on my CR. They only seem to show on my TU and EXP. I am assuming they are some sort of county liens if there is such a thing?? 2 of the 3 are paid in full. They are listed as follows;

***** County Recorder

ID # **************

Date Filed, Sept. 2011 

Date Resolved, Feb. 2012

Claim Amount, $160

Liability Amount, Not Reported

Status, State Tax Lien Paid, released

***** County Recorder

ID # **************

Date Filed, Aug. 2007

Date Resolved, March 2008

Claim Amount, $90

Status, State Tax Lien Paid, released

***** County Recorder

ID # **************

Date Filed, May 2006

Date Resolved, Not Reported

Claim Amount, $449

Status, State Tax Lien Filed

Any ideas as to the best way to approach this? I realize I need to pay off the last one listed, but am not sure how to go about removing the paid liens. I have not been able to find anything through the searches I have tried to use. As always, Thanks ahead of time!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Tax Lien Questions...

I'm sorry to report state tax liens can't be removed unless they are inaccurate.  I have seen someone get a state tax lien removed hopefully they will give you some advice. The feds have steps to get a lien removed it makes no sense the state can't have a process for their residents. Good Luck!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 6
titanofold
Established Contributor

Liens are usually filed by the court of the county you live in. I have a Federal tax lien that was filed by my local county court and it appears on my CRs as if the county leveraged the lien.

I don't know of any state that has steps to get a lien withdrawn from CRs, but you'll have to research your state to find out for sure.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 3 of 6
CBARR82
Regular Contributor

I will start some research and see what I can find out about my great state of Indiana. Titanofold, how did you find out that it was a federal lien that was listed through your county? I honestly don't know where to start with this! :-( Thanks

Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@CBARR82 wrote:

I will start some research and see what I can find out about my great state of Indiana. Titanofold, how did you find out that it was a federal lien that was listed through your county? I honestly don't know where to start with this! :-( Thanks

It would state "federal tax lien" in place of "State tax lien". You are going to want to search the states taxing agency website for a form to withdraw the lien, if you cant find one call the state taxing agency and ask how you can get the lien withdrawn. Some states wont allow it and I dont know anything about IN law. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
titanofold
Established Contributor

@CBARR82 wrote:

Well, there was only one institution that I could have possibly owed $13,000+ to, and it sure as the sky is blue on a cloudless day that I didn't owe any money to my county. I didn't have any other information on my CRs indicating what institution wanted it. It had a case number, though, and was able to get all the details with a little legwork.

All you have to do is go to or call the County Clerk's office and you can get a copy of all the paperwork associated with the liens.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.