Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien Removal

tag
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Tax Lien Removal

I know that a Federal Tax Lien now comes off your CR completely after being paid in full, does this apply to State Liens as well?  If so, could someone please link the page that has that information?

THANKS!!!!

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax Lien Removal

I was just on TU website looking at information. I found this under FAQ:

Tax liens:
Unpaid tax liens remain on file indefinitely. Paid tax liens remain on file for seven years from the date paid.

Message 2 of 7
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Thanks,

I'm referring to something new that just came out regarding Tax Liens and being removed after being paid (Federal).  Was wondering if this applied to state also.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. I googled and that is good info to know.

But the state question would depend on the laws of the state you live in. That information might be helpful to the forum.

Message 4 of 7
Andrew22
Regular Contributor

For the IRS, removal doesn't happen automatically after satisfying the lien, however. You must apply for a withdrawal, and the IRS still has discretion to deny it. I just went through the process successfully,

Message 5 of 7
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Hey Andrew, thanks for the reply.  Was this a state lien?  Which state?

Message 6 of 7
Andrew22
Regular Contributor

Hey there: no, this is only for federal. You're right that the feds recently changed policy to withdrawing filed, paid liens if asked. And they just did it for me. It was no questions asked, I filled out the application, checked a box saying, basically, it would be good for me, and they approved two weeks later. But the IRS called me to explain that this was a one-time deal. If I ever had a lien again, there would be no withdrawal next time. The states, I'm afraid are a different matter...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.