cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien Removed! Disappointed w/score...explanation?

tag
sbeasl11
Regular Contributor

Tax Lien Removed! Disappointed w/score...explanation?

The tax lien was filed in error. It was only showing on EQ. FICO score was 630

Faxed proof (letter from IRS) & EQ removed it...yay!...right?

No. FICO score dropped to 627. Nothing else on the report changed.

I really expected this tax lien (which was reporting as unpaid) to be pulling DH score down.

How can your score not go up ANY with the removal of a tax lien??

I don't understand Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Weights
Regular Contributor

Re: Tax Lien Removed! Disappointed w/score...explanation?

Congratuations on the removal! Far as your score, keep in mind that the contents are more imporant; the fact that it's not there anymore will make a difference to your creditors.

That said, your score is based on your whole report; if you've had other recent negative information, the lien doesn't hurt as much as if it had been your only baddie. It's hard to say why it didn't go up more since the fico formula is extremely complex and takes into account a wide variety of factors. Still, I would consider this a big victory; a tax lien is definitely one of the worse things you can have on a credit report, setting score aside. 

Message 2 of 9
SJ02
Established Member

Way to go getting your federal tax lien removed!  I agree with Weights, it is better to have the negative information removed from your credit report.  The same thing happened to me and I was down about my score being unchanged, but then I thought about what potential lenders were not seeing on my cra and my outlook on it changed. 

Starting Score: 492
Current Score: EQ615
Current Score: EX579
Fako (Credit Sesame) Score: 689
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
sbeasl11
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I know it's great that it is gone. They could have at least given us a ponit ot two! LOL

Time to smile & move on to the next! 

Message 4 of 9
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

sbeasl11,

Who did you receive the withdrawal notice from?

I received a letter from the IRS stating my withdrawal was approval and would be sent to local recording office for withdrawal; however, I've been waiting for 4 weeks and calling/looking online at the courthouse records. I'm just anxious to get this resolved and off my report....hopefully i will get a decent increase for these two.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

That's a nice removal.  Keep it up and the scores will follow.  Good Luck.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 9
sbeasl11
Regular Contributor

Aspireto850,

It was a lein that was filed in error and not knowing our rights, it sat on DH & my credit forever. They all fell off after the SOL except for EQ on his report. Had to dig out the letter from the IRS stating we never owed it. Glad it's finally gone& especially glad that I am educating myself Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
Smarter
Regular Contributor

I also have a lien that was filed in error.  Equifax is the only CRA that is still reporting it.  They received a letter from the Attorny General's office telling them it was filed in error and to remove it--they won't.  I tried faxing them the letter again a couple of years ago and they still would not remove it.  So, could you tell me what process you used to get yours removed?  Did you call them first or just fax your documentation?  Would you mind PMing me the numbers that you called/faxed? Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 9
sbeasl11
Regular Contributor

Smarter,

Just sent you a PM with the info...Good Luck!!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.