Not applicable

Re: Tax Lien and credit

@Chala wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Chala wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@Chala wrote:

BTW it's the State not IRS the debt is $12,000

call them. they will set up arrangements.  By now, Im sure the Tax lien is reporting on your reports, in the public record section....which is bad. Not gonna sugar coat that. A tax lien will stay on your reports "unpaid" indefinitely. once they are "satisfied"=paid, then they stay on for 7 yrs on the reports once they have been satisfied, unless you can get the state to remove it earlier. 

I should have answered my letters, lol..I didnt get to the bank levy part, but it is on my reports. my were satisfied/paid in late 2013, and will remain on my reports now till 2020.  Ive tried to get it removed with no luck...state liens are hard to get removed. but, good news is once they are paid, you know its removed 7 yrs from the satisfied date.   Call them!! Make payment arrangements, 

they are already garnishing part of my salary i believe 10% i really can't pay much more will the state work with me on afforable payments or demand an unreasonable figure?

You can see if you qualify for an OIC with your state. I did an OIC with the FEDS, 62k and settle for 4800 and that qualified me for a state OIC. I also owed the stete taxes in 2010 and about 10 months into my payments they sent me a settlement offer if i did a PIF. for the 62k one i had to get a lawyer it was a rather difficult case. the 2010 one was a few grand I called and talked to the state myself on thaty one. that one is still on my TU report and will report until 2018 ( 10 years )

Do you think i should go with  lawyer or one of those tax relief establishments?

I didn't use one from the TV or commercials. I obtained a lawyer and it was expensive. retainer was 3500, then 350$ an hour if he had to goto court, confrence calls etc. He was actually the second lawyer for my case. The first lawyer did more harm than good. I found out cheaper isnt always better. I would do some searches for tax lawyers in your area first. I think most of those lawyers on those commericais are scammers. 

Message 21 of 24
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@Harley14, I took your advice and called to set up a payment plan. The rep I spoke with answered all my questions with ease and she told me that I do not have to worry about a tax lien as long as I comply with my payment plan! She comfirmed that I will receive written information in the mail within 7-10 business days. I'm looking forward to paying this off because the IRS can aggressively pursue anyone and I'm not trying to be an example. Thanks for the information. 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had that happen to me over a decade ago (IRS), and it would have cleaned out most of what was in my checking account at the time. Fortunately, as soon as I found out what was going on I called IRS and they didn't give me a hard time about it at all, they quickly set up a payment plan for me. In my case, this all happened because I took too much out in withholding exemptions because my pay at the time just wasn't enough to provide a living wage - fortunately those days are behind me now (crossing fingers, hopefully permanently!)  Also, it's really important to keep in touch with federal or state tax authorities if you ever run into problems paying what's currently due or back taxes.

Message 23 of 24
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@Joe8185, I've heard horror stories about checking accounts being garnished as soon as I started looking into it on here. This is the first time I've had this happen so I was a little worried about it impacting my credit. Im working toward a healthy file and do not have space for anything negative as I clean up and settle 2 old credit cards. 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.